These Easy Black Bean Cakes with Avocado Cream will become your go-to recipe on Meatless Monday…or any time you want to enjoy a tasty patty of black beans, corn and cilantro with lots of spice. Cool things off with a quick avocado cream sauce topping!
I am unapologetic about my love of black beans (and cilantro too…but, that’s another story.) Mashing up these mild-flavored and super healthy beans with cilantro, green onions, corn that is fresh off the cob, Panko breadcrumbs and spices and then forming them into black bean cakes makes them all the more appealing. As for the avocado cream…Well, that’s just “icing” on the cake. Pun intended. 🙂
They’re easy to make too!
Black Bean Cakes Step-by-Step
Mash about 3 cups of black beans using a fork or potato masher until they are the desired consistency. I like the beans a little chunky. Use a food processor if you want a very smooth consistency.
Add the rest of the good stuff to the bean mixture: fresh corn off the cob, fresh cilantro, panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, mayonnaise (or vegan alternative) and red pepper flakes. These black bean cakes pack some heat due to the red pepper flakes, but you can leave that spice out.
Use about a 1/4 cup of the mixture and form 12 patties. They will be on the small size, which makes them easier to work with in the frying pan.
It’s best to let them congeal for an hour or two (or overnight) in the refrigerator. I’m going to cover the second pan with a lid and plastic wrap and freeze them for later.
Spray a pan with olive oil. But, don’t put use too much. If you do, the black bean cakes will quickly soak up the oil and become extremely fragile during the cooking process.
Once cooked, remove the black bean cakes to a paper plate lined with paper towels. If you let them sit for a few minutes, they will firm up a little more.
Top the black bean cakes with sour cream or fresh guacamole. Or, make a some avocado cream (adapted from a recent post over at Annie-Eats) which is simply a mixture of a Hass avocado, sour cream (or vegan substitute,) lemon (or lime) juice and garlic that has been pureed. This cool topping perfectly offsets the heat!
You can see the corn, cilanto and green onion poking out. Yummm. The avocado cream is a cool topping!
If you want to:
Make them ahead of time and store in the freezer – Assemble them into patties and freeze for up to two months. Defrost completely before cooking.
Make them vegan – Use a vegan substitute for the mayonnaise and sour cream. The mayonnaise is the “glue” of this recipe so to speak. This recipe was tested using vegan products!
Keep ’em healthy – Use low-fat mayonnaise and sour cream and whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs.
Make ’em kid-friendly – Leave out the crushed red pepper.
Make appetizer sized cakes – Make small Tablespoon-sized cakes. They’re sure to be a party hit!
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained, but not rinsed or about 3 cups
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup corn, cut off the cob (about 1 corn cob)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise or vegan substitute
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 Hass avocado
- ½ cup sour cream, low-fat (or vegan substitute)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon or lime juice (I used lemon)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mash black beans with a potato masher or fork. Mixture will be slightly chunky.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Form mixture into patties about a ¼ cup each in size.
- Allow patties to gel in refrigerator for up 24 hours.
- Lightly spray frying pan with olive oil.
- Place black bean cakes in pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, turning only once.
- Remove to plate lined with paper towels and allow to set for several minutes.
- Serve with avocado cream or toppings such as sour cream or guacamole.
- Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!