It’s March madness around here…and not just the basketball variety (although we are following that too!) School projects. Tests. Soccer games. Dance class. Spring break. Easter. There’s a lot going on. When life gets crazy, I pull out a tried and true recipe that is easy to prepare. Blackened chicken with a touch of honey is one of those recipes.
A quick and easy dinner!
This blackened chicken is juicy and spicy and sweet. When it’s done, I have lots of options, as you will see.
It’s not charred on the grill. It’s baked in the oven.
And, it’s not super spicy, unless you want it to be super spicy. For this recipe, blackened refers to the Cajun spice mix that coat the chicken. For the faint of heart, and I guess I am one of them :), a slight drizzle of honey makes for a perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
I used the same spices on the chicken that I used on the Sweet and Spicy Cajun Roasted Chick Peas.
Mix up a big batch of the spices so you will always have them on hand. The amounts provided in the instructions are enough for 4 pieces of chicken. Double it. Triple it…you get the picture. Or, just by some of Emeril’s Essence at the grocery store.
Sprinkle the spices all over the chicken and then drizzle the honey on both sides.
Sear the chicken on the stove top for about one to two minutes on each side. Believe me, I wouldn’t drag out a pan for this step if it didn’t make a big difference in the flavor. It’s very important. Don’t skip this step!
Bake the chicken, uncovered, for about 30 minutes in the oven.
Once it’s done, you’ve got options.
Serve it with your favorite sides. Slice it thin and serve it over greens (with a little red wine vinaigrette salad dressing.) Make a tasty chicken sandwich. Chop it up and toss it in a soup or rice bowl. Or serve it with some alfredo sauce.
Yep. Lots of options. I bet you have a few ideas of your own for this easy blackened chicken recipe.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup honey (leave this out if you don’t want the sweet taste or for fewer calories)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry spices in a container with a lid. Shake to combine.
- Sprinkle seasoning on both sides of chicken.
- Drizzle honey over each side of chicken.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken for one-two minutes on each side.
- Place chicken in baking dish and cook, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
I hope you enjoy the recipe and March madness!