Shhhh. There’s no need to tell anyone just how easy it is to make these tasty chicken roulades stuffed with mango chutney and brie. And, you will be asked. So, be prepared with your story, if you intend to impress.
They’re a secret weapon for:
- unexpected guests (they’re that fancy)
- unplanned dinners (they’re that easy)
- ho-hum chicken (they’re that tasty!)
The simple combination of creamy brie and tangy mango chutney make these little chicken roulades a crowd-pleaser. If you follow these tips for easy prep, they’ll be ready in no time.
Chicken Roulades Step-by-Step
1. The chicken should be about 1/4 inch in thickness. Uggh. That’s me imagining that you are not excited about pounding chicken. Then don’t. Buy chicken “cutlets” instead. That’s my number one tip. Be sure to season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Cut the brie into slices about 3/8 inch thick..more than quarter, but less than half an inch. You can, but you don’t have to, remove the white rind on the cheese. It melts and mixes with the mango chutney in this recipe. It’s still on the strips in the picture above. If you want to remove it, then cut if off with a knife or scrape it off with the edge of a spoon before you cut it. Keep the brie cold and it will be easy to work with. (Leave it out while you are doing other things and…well just don’t do it. It will get very gooey.)
3. Layer a slice of brie and a heaping teaspoon of mango chutney in the center of each piece of chicken.
4. Roll up the chicken and secure it with a toothpick (which was not absolutely necessary, but I did it to be safe.) Sprinkle paprika over the top.
5. Bake the chicken uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
6. Some of the sauce and cheese will ooze out. Spoon it over the top and serve the chicken with some more mango chutney on the side.
I bought a small jar of prepared mango chutney and used what was leftover to make Ground Turkey Burger Sliders infused with mango chutney.
In case you are inspired to make your own, I found a homemade mango chutney recipe over at Simply Recipes which looks very tasty.
You can also prepare these chicken roulades and freeze them (before your cook them.) Defrost them in the refrigerator and then cook according to the recipe instructions. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
- 6 Chicken breast cutlets (about ¼ inch in thickness)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices of brie (from a small wedge)
- 6 teaspoons of mango chutney (plus extra to serve over the top if desired)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay chicken cutlets flat on piece of wax paper or plastic wrap.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cut brie into 6 slices about ¼ inch thick and about the width of the chicken.
- Place a slice of brie in the center of each piece of chicken.
- Place a heaping teaspoon of mango chutney on top of the brie.
- Carefully roll the chicken, keeping the brie in the center of the roll.
- Place chicken roulades in a baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Spoon excess juices that ooze out of the chicken over the chicken and serve with additional mango chutney on the side, if desired.