Open Faced Tuna Melt Sandwiches are the ultimate comfort food. A creamy, cheesy tuna “dip” is slathered on whole grain bread and topped with fresh tomato slices and cheddar cheese. They’re sure to make you smile at the end of long day!
If you’re a fan of creamy, cheesy dips, then this recipe is for you. 🙂 Honestly, I could justify sitting down with some vegetable crudites and whole grain chips and enjoying this tuna dip for dinner. I use low-fat cream cheese and mayo and the tuna packs it with protein.
Alas, that would not set a very good example for the teens at my house and I cherish our sit-down dinnertime together…and so…
Open Faced Tuna Melt Sandwiches were born!
They are perfect for nights when you need dinner in a flash and you don’t have a plan. Start to finish, you’re looking at about 20 minutes. You can shave a little more time off that total if you use Bumble Bee® Premium Albacore Tuna (or Light Tuna) in pouches. It makes the prep even easier – just tear open the package. No draining involved. Of course, Bumble Bee® tuna is available in cans too and you’ll get the same great result.
I love the out in the open presentation of the melty cheese and piled high goodies in an open faced sandwich (not to mention the carbs are cut in half.) Add a top if that’s what the kiddos like. Of course, use the tastiest whole wheat bread you can find. And, leave the “green stuff” off for the picky palates.
Do you have a favorite tuna recipe? We’d love to hear about it! And, if you’re looking for more tuna inspired dishes, check out this fantastic collection of Bumble Bee®’s custom recipes.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup low-fat mayonnaise
- Dash of garlic powder
- Two 5 ounce packages Bumble Bee® Premium Albacore Tuna or Light Tuna (or cans)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Optional parsley garish
- Set oven to broil.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add celery and onion to pan and saute for about 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add cream cheese, mayonnaise and garlic powder to pan. Stir to melt and combine ingredients.
- Stir in tuna and remove from heat.
- To assemble sandwiches, divide tuna mixture between slices of bread and spread in an even layer.
- Place tomato slices on top of the tuna.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of the tomato.
- Place sandwiches on a broiler pan and place in the oven for about 2 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Use low-fat mayonnaise and cream cheese to keep the calories and fat content down.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.