I’ve made creamy mashed potatoes thousands of times. Really. It was a staple at our meal assembly store around the holidays. They also perfectly complement meatloaf muffins, black forest pot roast and a numerous of other entrees. So, I always have a pan stowed away in the freezer. And, most importantly, they are deeelicious!
Up until now, I’d never made this recipe in a crock pot. Now that I have, I’m never going back. It is soooo easy to do. Valuable stove and oven space is freed up by using the slow cooker. And, you can still freeze the leftovers. Win. Win. Win.
Crock pot mashed potatoes are made creamy by the addition of cream cheese, sour cream and butter. The potatoes pictured are topped with chopped green chives. Parsley or bacon are always a hit too…except with the younger crowd. For the less adventurous diners, leave the green stuff off altogether!
Crock Pot Creamy Mashed Potatoes Steps
Peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces, about 1 inch in size. Pour 1 and 1/2 cups of chicken broth over the top of the potatoes, cover and cook on high for about 4 and 1/2 hours. The potatoes will be be fork tender when they are done.
Turn the crock pot off or down to warm while you work with the potatoes. Roughly mash the potatoes with a masher or fork and then add the sour cream, cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper to the crock pot. Using beaters, mix the ingredients just until they are a creamy consistency.
Serve creamy mashed potatoes straight from the slow cooker or transfer them to a serving dish. Top with pats of butter and garnish with chopped chives or parsley if desired.
If you happen to have any crock pot creamy mashed potatoes left over, freeze them in a tin with a lid or an air tight container. For best results, use within 2 months of freezing. When you are ready to enjoy them, defrost them in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Top with a few pats of butter and then bake uncovered for approximately 30 minutes.
These can be made vegan by using the appropriate products. Check out our Allergy Friendly Food Products guide if you need product suggestions,
- 5 Pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sour cream (or vegan substitute)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (or vegan substitute)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan substitute)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped chives or parsley, optional
- Place cut potatoes into a slow cooker and pour broth over the top of the potatoes.
- Cook potatoes on high setting for 4 and ½ hours or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Spoon some liquid if desired.
- Mash potatoes with a fork and add sour cream, cream cheese, ¼ cup butter, salt and pepper to the crock pot.
- Use beaters to mix just until a creamy consistency.
- Top with chopped chives or parsley, if using, and serve with extra pats of butter.