Your family will beg for seconds when you serve pork slow cooked in a sweet and tangy blackberry bbq sauce. Perfect when you want lots of flavor without a lot of fuss!
Sometimes, in the middle of the week, amidts all the hustle and bustle, dinner can get…well, a little boring. This is my antidote to that syndrome. Pork slow cooked in a sweet and tangy blackberry BBQ sauce always resets the mood. It puts a a little zip in your step and helps finish the day with a bang. And, if I do say so myself, chores, homework and all the other night time rituals get done just a little quicker. A good meal that makes everyone happy can help you that way.
If you are thinking that you need to go out and buy some fancy BBQ sauce, let me set you straight. The secret ingredient is blackberry jam. It is inspired from a recipe on the Smucker’s website. I added just a little brown sugar to make the sauce a little sweeter. It can be used in any recipe that calls for barbecue sauce and as a dipping sauce too. This homemade sauce is sure to become a family favorite.
I mean…who can resist a tasty barbecue during the middle of the week?
- ½ cup blackberry preserves, seedless
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 onion, halved and cut into slices
- 2-3 pounds pork (I prefer pork tenderloin, but a pork butt is also a good option.)
- 6 Hamburger rolls, optional
- Add the first 6 ingredients to a small bowl and stir until well-combined.
- Reserve ⅓ cup of sauce for serving time. (The reserved sauce should never touch the raw meat.)
- Place pork and onions in the crock pot.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the pork and onions.
- Cook on low for 6-8 or high 4-6 hours.
- Shred pork using two forks.
- Serve on hamburger rolls spooning reserved sauce on top, if desired.
A different blogger from the #SundaySupper group shares a #WeekdaySupper recipe Monday through Friday. Be sure to check out this week’s other recipes below. Getting families back to the dinner table is our mission! You can find more recipes on our Pinterest Boards, too. Please join us there for more weekday inspirations!
Monday: Roasted Broccoli and Cheese Quesadillas from Chocolate Moosey
Tuesday: One Pot Pasta from Momma’s Meals
Wednesday: Baked Garlic Pretzel Chicken from Alida’s Kitchen
Thursday: Pork in a Blackberry BBQ Sauce from The Dinner-Mom
Friday: Chicken Teriyaki from Curious Cuisiniere