Happy (early) Fourth of July! It’s time for a little indulgence over at our house and this fruit pizza cookie is one of my weaknesses. Top a cookie with cream cheese frosting and my favorite fruits and I’m in heaven. 🙂
If you need a quick and easy, but totally impressive and tasty treat for your festivities, let me suggest this red, white and blue decorated fruit pizza cookie. If it is not a patriotic occasion, then let your imagination run wild. We’ve got some more decorating ideas from around the web below.
It tastes as yummy as it looks. The base of this pizza is a cookie. We used this Key Lime Cookie Recipe, which is mild and a bit chewy. But, any cookie recipe will work. If you’re in a hurry, buy refrigerated cookie dough from the grocery store.
Roll out the dough so that it’s about 1/4 inch thick. I was able to make two 9 inch pizzas with one batch of the key lime cookie recipe. When you roll out the dough, make sure to leave about 1/2 inch around the edge of the pan so the cookie can expand. Our cookie turned up nicely to make a nice “pizza” crust.
The creamy white pizza “sauce” is a simple combination of whipped topping, cream cheese and sugar. I always buy already whipped cream cheese which gives me a head start on making it light and fluffy. Use electric beaters to make sure everything is thoroughly mixed. Small peaks will begin to form. The recipe below will easily cover two 9 inch pizzas. For my vegan friends, use soy-based substitutes for whipped topping and cream cheese.
Just about any fruit will work. But, fresh blueberries are tried and trued on a fruit pizza cookie.
There is not a right or wrong way to slice the strawberries. Honestly, you could chop them up in small pieces and make a mosaic and this fruit pizza cookie would be outstanding. And…we tried that too!
More fruit pizza cookie inspirations from around the web:
Circular design by Pinch of Yum
A mural by Kids Activities Blog
Personal pan pizzas by How Sweet It Is
No design at all, yet still stunning by The Pioneer Woman
On top of chocolate, of course by Betty Crocker
How about a rainbow theme or school colors? I’ve seen gazillion beautiful Valentine themes too!
- Refrigerated sugar cookie dough or your favorite recipe. We used our Key Lime Cookie Recipe
- 8 ounce tub of whipped topping, defrosted
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- Assorted fruit, like strawberries, blueberries and kiwi.
- Roll out cookie dough onto a large pan, leaving about 1 inch around the edges for the cookie to expand. Cook according to cookie recipe instructions.
- Allow cookie to cool completely before decorating.
- Combine whipped cream cheese and sugar and then add whipped topping to the bowl.
- Use electric beaters to thoroughly combine the mixture for about 1 minute. The mixture will stiffen and begin to form soft peaks.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over the pizza leaving a crust around the edge.
- Cut fruit, if necessary.
- Decorate! Start in the middle and work your way to the edges.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!