Couscous Paella with Shrimp has lots of flavor, just like the traditional dish that originated in Spain. But, unlike the classic version, this one cooks up in less than 15 minutes because it calls for couscous instead of rice. It doesn’t use the hallmark “paella pan” either. But, it does use just one pan. Yep, just one pan. So, clean-up is a breeze!
Onions, garlic, red peppers, yellow peppers and peas give Couscous Paella and Shrimp a colorful presentation and a lot of flavor. It gets a yellow tint (and a bit of a kick) from turmeric. Turmeric is often used in Indian curries and is known for health benefits. However, you don’t have to use this spice to make this tasty dish. I’ve made it without this spice and it’s absolutely delicious!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onion, diced (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 Sweet Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Sweet Yellow Pepper, diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (if you want some extra heat!)
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen Peas
- 1½ pounds medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 box (7-10 ounces) Couscous
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, peppers and garlic to pan and saute for about 5-8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, except for couscous.
- Raise heat and bring mixture to a very low boil.
- Reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in uncooked couscous.
- Cover with lid or aluminum foil and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
Couscous Paella with Shrimp is so quick, easy and healthy, I thought it would be perfect for a #WeekdaySupper. This movement is about sharing quick and easy meals that make enjoying a family dinner together easy. It starts off with one meal together. Before you know it, eating dinner together becomes a family event that you just don’t want to miss.
A different blogger from the #SundaySupper group shares a recipe each weekday. Be sure to check out this week’s other easy #WeekdaySupper ideas below!
- Monday – Beer Battered Fish with Oven Baked Chips and Spicy Tartar Sauce by Bobbie’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tuesday – Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Chicken Sandwiches by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Wednesday – Very Sloppy Joels by Shockingly Delicious
- Friday – Balsamic-Glazed Pork Chops by Girlichef