Spaghetti Squash Alfredo is a low-carb way to satisfy your cravings for this comfort food. Mix the alfredo sauce ingredients right into the cooked squash for a super simple delight.
Are you limiting carbs? Counting calories or points? Did you make health-related resolutions this year that you’re bound and determined to achieve? If so, you need Spaghetti Squash Alfredo in your recipe box!
There are just 5 ingredients, it takes minutes to prepare (once you cook the spaghetti squash) and there are minimal dishes to wash.
Although I shy away from making “New Year’s Resolutions,” I do have goals. And, I’m feeling particularly motivated to achieve said goals, which just so happens to coincide with January 1st.
Call it what you will. I want to be a healthy weight and I want to get there with super simple recipes.
There. I’ve stated my goal publicly and it feels good. I feel accountable! I also promise to share all the tasty recipes and any tips I learn along the way…because that’s what I do. 🙂
5 Ingredient Spaghetti Squash Alfredo Recipe
Come fall/winter, spaghetti squash takes over where Zucchini Noodle Alfredo leaves off. In fact, these recipes are almost identical except that you don’t have to spiralize anything!
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
I like to cook spaghetti squash in the oven. It’s all hands off time and it seems to deepen the flavor more than the microwave method. Under either method, I suggest poking holes all over the squash with a knife (to allow steam to escape) and microwaving for 1 minute to make it easier to cut the spaghetti squash in half. This is a chore I do not like. But, it is always worth the effort.
Using the baking method, cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds, brush the inside with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake the sides face down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper for about 40 minutes in a 375 degree F oven.
When time is of the essence, and you need to curb your spaghetti squash alfredo craving stat, try the microwave method. I follow this method over at The Kitchn for Cooking Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave Oven.
The beauty of this recipe is that the ingredients are added directly to the cooked squash. The squash is so hot the ingredients melt as they are gently mixed into the strands of flesh.
Enjoy it straight from the squash or scoop it onto a plate. Either way, this creamy spaghetti squash alfredo will satisfy a craving for decadence. It’s not pasta. But, it sure is delicious!
- 2 medium sized spaghetti squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (enough to brush the insides of spaghetti squash)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ounces of cream cheese or 4 Tablespoons (I use ⅓ less fat)
- 4 teaspoons sour cream (I use low-fat or fat-free)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (plus more to garnish the top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Poke each spaghetti squash with a knife on all sides (about 10 times or so) to allow steam to escape while cooking.
- In order to make it easier to cut the spaghetti squash in half, place squash on a microwave-safe plate and cook in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Cut each squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the inside with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place squash halves on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Place each squash half on a serving plate. The squash will be very hot.
- Using a fork, scrape the strands of flesh away from the skin.
- Add 1 Tablespoon cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of sour cream and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese to the center of each squash half.
- Gently stir the ingredients into the strands of flesh until they until melted and the strands are coated.
- Enjoy straight from squash or scoop onto a plate.
- Top with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!