In case it’s not obvious from recent posts on zucchini chips or zucchini ribbons, I’m a little obsessed with this vegetable. So, National Zucchini Day, which just happens to be on August 8th, seemed like the perfect occasion to share these chocolate zucchini brownies. A special auntie to my girls introduced us to this new favorite dessert.
These brownies are moist and chocolaty. It’s hard to tell there’s a vegetable hiding inside which is why I feel no guilt at all indulging on one before dinner. I’m eating my vegetables after all. 🙂
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies – Step by Step
First, mix together the sugar, oil and vanilla until it is well-combined and crumbly. I used a combination of sugar and a stevia blend in order to keep with the healthy theme of this brownie.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the sugar mixture into the flour mixture. It will have a crumbly texture when you are done (see picture above.)
Grate a zucchini, skin and all, until you have two cups of shreds. I used one pretty large zucchini and had some leftover. Fold the zucchini into the flour and sugar mixture and stir until it is distributed throughout. The batter becomes wetter as the zucchini is incorporated.
Scrape the batter into an 8 x 11 baking dish. The batter will be thick. Have faith. A magical process occurs during the cooking process transforming the final product to a moist and chewy brownie.
Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 25 to 30 minutes. Allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
These chocolate zucchini brownies are the real deal. They are vegan, healthy and delicious. And, you can’t taste the zucchini, despite what one of my darling daughters might tell you.
This recipe was adapted from a zucchini brownie recipe found on AllRecipes.
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1½ cups sugar (you can replace up to half of the sugar with a stevia blend)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large zucchini to yield 2 cups of shreds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oil, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until well-combined and crumbly.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add sugar mixture to the flour mixture.
- Using a grater, shred the zucchini.
- Stir the zucchini shreds into the batter until thoroughly incorporated. Batter should be moist and thick.
- Scrape batter into an 8 x 11 baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the brownie is fairly firm and begins to pull from the sides of the pan.
- Allow brownies to cool.
There’s no better way to eat your veges than with these chocolate zucchini brownies.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!