Go ahead and have a second slice. Spiralized Zucchini Noodle Crusted Pizza is loaded with vegetables, low-carb and gluten free…and absolutely delicious!
I love pasta and pizza…and my spiralizer. (And zucchini. I love zucchini too!)
So, it was no surprise to my family when Spaghetti Pizza Pie morphed into Zucchini Noodle Pizza Pie.
an obsession a personal challenge of mine to sneak a good dose of veges where they’re not expected. Moreover, this recipe begs for personalization. Casually ask, “What toppings would you like on your pizza tonight?” Magically, each person now has an ownership interest in the pizza…and they just have to try it…and of course, it is delicious. Score!
Zucchini Noodle Crusted Pizza Basics
It’s waaay to early in the year for zucchini recipes. I know. But, I just couldn’t wait to share this one. It’s yet another unique way to enjoy zucchini.
You need a spiralizer for this recipe. You just do. I got mine for under $20. It’s small and has greatly increased the consumption of vegetables in our house. If you don’t own one, go buy one stat!
Spiralize a large zucchini to yield about 2 cups of noodles. Toss them with egg, olive oil and garlic and layer them in the bottom of a 9 inch round or square pan.
(I’m whispering…you can also use half cooked pasta noodles and half zucchini noodles if your family is a little resistant to change. 🙂 )
Mix the cheeses together and drop spoonfuls of the cheese mixture over the noodles. Use your fingertips to spread it in an even layer, leaving a “crust” around the edge.
Top it with your favorite pizza toppings, such as mushrooms, onions or sausage.
Bake until the noodles have set.
Slice with a pizza cutter enjoy! It’s not exactly pizza or a pasta dish. And, you’ll need a fork. But, it sure is pretty and tastes fantastic!
- 1 large zucchini spiralized to yield about 2 cups of noodles
- 1-2 pressed garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese + a little extra to sprinkle on top
- ⅔ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese + a little extra to sprinkle on top
- 1 tomato, sliced thin (I used a Roma tomato)
- 7-8 Fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (stacked, rolled and cut using kitchen shears)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss zucchini noodles, olive oil, garlic and egg together and then layer the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Mix cheeses together and place Tablespoon-sized drops over the top of the zucchini noodles, leaving about a ½ inch "crust" around the edges.
- Press cheese mixture down with fingers or with the back of a spoon.
- Top with tomato slices, fresh basil and a sprinkling of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm.
- Slice with a pizza cutter, but eat with a fork!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!