Make this easy, cheesy Cauliflower Pizza Bites recipe and add your favorite toppings for a low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free pizza night!
I'm sure you've heard of it. But, have you ever tried a cauliflower pizza recipe? One that has a really tasty crust?
This recipe stands up to the hype. Cauliflower rice, cheese, egg, and spices are perfectly combined to make cheesy cauliflower pizza dough that can be shaped as a circular pie or cut into little appetizer-sized mouthfuls.
No...it does not taste like a traditional crust. But, the cauliflower is transformed into a pleasantly cheesy base that is easy to pick up (at least when it's cut into little squares.) Top it any way you like...just like any other pizza!
Once you've made these pizza bites, you'll be hooked on the versatility of cauliflower. Be sure to check out curried cauliflower rice and cauliflower muffins.! Before you know it you'll be obsessed just like we are!
How to Make Cauliflower Pizza Bites or Crust
The basic ingredient for this recipe is riced cauliflower. Cook the crumbles for 3-4 minutes in the microwave until they are tender and soft.
Or don't! If you start with a bag of frozen cauliflower rice and defrost it in the refrigerator, then you can just measure it out and proceed. It's one of the short-cuts we used in our favorite frozen cauliflower rice recipes.
Remove cauliflower crumbles from the microwave and spread them out on a clean dish towel and allow them to cool for about 5 minutes.
The dish towel will absorb some of the moisture, but not all of it. After the mixture has cooled, fold the sides of the towel over the rice and press out more moisture. The more moisture that is removed, the crispier the crust! So, squeezing and wringing is a good idea!
To form cauliflower pizza dough, combine the cooked crumbles with shredded cheese, spices (oregano, basil, garlic powder, and salt) and then a lightly beaten egg.
Make it vegan by using egg-replacer and vegan shreds. To make the egg replacer, combine 1 Tablespoon chia seeds and 3 Tablespoons of water. Allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes or until it becomes nice and sticky. For an egg-free, dairy-free crust that doesn't use substitutes, check out this recipe by Chocolate Covered Katie.
Press the mixture together to form a dough ball. It won't stick together like bread dough. But, the balls should hold their shape. We found it is easier to work with several smaller balls of dough.
Spread the dough out on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat mat or with parchment paper sprayed to prevent sticking. A pizza stone will also work! Press the mixture into the desired shape in an even layer. This crust is a tad over ¼ inch thick. Press the surface flat and then move in the sides and then do it again, and again and again...until it has a nice flat surface that is firmly packed together.
Bake the crust in a 425 degree F oven for about 8 - 10 minutes or until the bottom edges just begin to brown. Remove the crust from the oven and add your favorite toppings. Return it to oven and cook the cauliflower pizza for about 3-4 minutes more.
We topped this version with more cheese and fresh basil. Use your favorite sauces, cheese, vegetables, and proteins.
Once they have cooled a few minutes, the cheesy cauliflower pizza bites firm up nicely. And, if you don't eat them up the first day, store them in the refrigerator and reheat them in the oven the next day.
Video of How to Make Cauliflower Pizza Bites
Watch how easy they are to make!
We've got you covered on pizza night. 🙂
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up.
Cauliflower Pizza Bites Recipe
- 4 cups riced cauliflower 1 medium size head of cauliflower
- 1 ¼ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Optional toppings, such as cheese, spaghetti sauce, vegetables, and meat
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place riced cauliflower on a microwave safe plate or bowl and cook on high in the microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread hot cauliflower rice out on a clean dish rag and allow to cool.
- Fold sides of dish rag over the top of the rice and press to remove additional moisture. The more moisture that is removed the crispier the crust will be.
- Return cauliflower rice to bowl and add oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and cheese and stir to combine.
- Stir in egg.
- Use hands to compress mixture into two or three dough balls. The balls will not be as firm as traditional dough, but should hold their shape.
- Place dough on a baking sheet covered with a silpat mat or parchment paper that has been coated to prevent sticking.
- Press the dough into desired shape, pressing down to flatten the surface into an even layer, moving in the sides as needed. Ideally, the thickness should be about ¼ of an inch.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the bottom of the crust just begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and top as desired. We added additional cheese and fresh basil.
- Return to the oven and bake for about 3-4 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and allow pizza to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Cut into squares or slices and enjoy!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL!