Creamy Butternut Squash Soup gets a burst of sweetness from honey, a little zing from orange juice and a wee bit of heat from white pepper. It's a party in a bowl!
I bet you weren't expecting to find orange juice in this recipe! But, your taste buds will thank you for the very pleasant surprise. 🙂
One of my very first posts was Butternut Squash Bisque. (Yikes! Did you peek at the pictures?!) My sweet dd has been asking for it ever since. Now that butternut squash is all over the market, it's time for version 2.0!
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with a Splash of Orange Juice
Not that the first version isn't totally tasty and lick the bowl fantastic. But, here's what happens with new recipes at my house: I make it over and over again in a very short span of time. Then, I make it again to take the photographs. I share it. And, sigh...it's totally out of my system for a while...and I'm on to new things.
When I finally get around to making the recipe again, I just can't resist the urge to make some changes! Such is the case with this soup.
I'm a big fan of sweet with a kick of heat. Case in point, Creamy White Bean Chicken Chili and Corn and Crab Chowder, both from cayenne pepper. In this recipe the combination is much more subtle, yet equally addictive. Imagine a silky smooth and slightly sweet spoonful of soup with a hint of orange juice sliding onto your tongue followed a few seconds later with a peppery finish. Deeeelicious!
The idea to add orange juice came from McCormick. Thank you!!
So, my sweet dd got her Creamy Butternut Squash Soup. I'm not even sure she remembers the particulars of the first recipe. All I know is that she is a big butternut squash fan. And, that's a good thing because I've been busy making more recipes with this delish squash...stay tuned!
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash about 1 inch squares
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt + more to taste approx. ¼ teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper + more to taste approx. ⅛ teaspoon
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup honey or agave nectar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ½ cup half and half or milk of choice
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon white pepper.
- Spread butternut squash in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Roast for about 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add roasted butternut squash to a large pot along with broth, honey, orange juice, ginger and nutmeg.
- Simmer mixture over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Puree mixture using an immersion blender or food processor. If using a food processor, carefully transfer in batches after mixture has cooled for a few minutes.
- Stir in milk and salt and white pepper to taste.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!