Curried Chick Peas are roasted until crispy in a sweet glaze. Even though they are very tasty and addictive, you don't have to worry about over-indulging on this healthy snack!
Okay, I guess you could eat more of this snack than you should. But, I've never heard of anyone who lost control of their diet by eating too many garbanzo beans! A half cup serving of beans is 110 calories and is packed with 7 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein (according to the back of my can.) They are filling, to say the least. Garbanzo beans are very versatile. Easy Hummus with an Asian Twist has chick peas as the base. Toss them in a salad raw or roast them in the oven until they are crunchy. If you haven't guessed, I'm a big fan of this last option. For more on my infatuation with chick peas, check out Spicy Cajun Roasted Chick Peas.
Well, yes. Yes, it was. I had way too many cans in my pantry and variety is the spice of life. I love to toss roasted chick peas in a salad and have them on hand after school. Not to mention, there are lots of snacking occasions on the horizon, from the Oscars to the Big Game...and bathing suit season is just around the corner.
The glaze in this recipe is inspired by Chicken Curry in a Hurry sauce. Olive oil, honey (or agave nectar,) Dijon mustard and curry powder are combined to make a sweet glaze. It's true that the olive oil and sweetener and a few extra calories...but, just look at how beautiful these are. Totally worth it!
Crispy Curried Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 15.5 ounce garbanzo beans chick peas, 1 can
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse chick peas in a colander and pat dry, removing excess skin if desired.
- Place chick peas on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While chick peas are baking, combine the remaining ingredients, except salt, in a small bowl.
- Remove chick peas from oven and toss to coat with curry mixture.
- Return chick peas to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes more or until chickpeas "rattle" in the pan. Check after 10 minutes and jiggle pan to move chick peas around to ensure that bottoms do not brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt, if desired.