Crispy Kale Chips stand alone as a tasty snack or take a salad to the next level and use them as a crunchy salad topper!
This is not just another plain Jane post assailing the health benefits and great taste of kale chips! (Although there is a recipe to make the perfect crispy chip below.)
Instead, I'm sharing a great way to jazz up a salad that will turn even the tentative kale chip eater into a fan!
It all begins with perfect Crispy Kale Chips
This beautiful plate of goodness did not have many takers. Let's just say my family endured a not-so-good kale chip experience and their opinion was reinforced when we ordered a bitter and bland-tasting batch at a local restaurant. The fate of this trendy chip seemed to be set.
Let's just say we like chips around here. 🙂
Still, the allure of a chip made out of this superfood remained. I researched. Then, I gave them another try employing all my new found knowledge:
- Remove the woody stems!
- Start with a clean, dry chip. Let them air dry a bit after washing to be sure.
- Lightly coat each chip with olive oil by "massaging" it so the entire leaf is coated. But, it shouldn't be dripping with oil!
- Don't cook the chips too long! They should be crisp, but not brown on the edges.
The result is a crispy kale chip that stands up to the scrutiny of the pickiest of chip eaters!
Even so. I decided to re-introduce the chips in a whole new way by using them as a crunchy topper in this salad that also has strips of gouda cheese, sundried tomatoes and sunflower seeds. Delish!
Let's just say, kale chips are now part of the menu rotation at our house!
Crispy Kale Chips
- 6 ounces kale greens
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons season salt or your favorite seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Tear kale greens into bite sized pieces, discarding the hard woody stems.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale and "massage" pieces to ensure all pieces are lightly coated.
- Spread pieces over two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Liberally sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotating baking sheets from top to bottom after 5 minutes. The chips should be crisp and not yet brown on the edges.
- Enjoy as a chip or as a topping in your favorite salad.