Guacamole Chicken Melts provide almost instant gratification because they're ready so quickly! This low-carb recipe takes about 20 minutes to make, uses one pan, and is guaranteed to be a favorite of guac lovers!
I'm always looking for creative ways to eat guacamole! In this case, you can literally have it for dinner!
Tender, juicy chicken has a pillowy top of guacamole covered with melty cheese! There are never leftovers (and no brown guac either, in case that was a worry!)
We followed the stovetop process used to make Chicken Bruschetta, replacing the tomato mixture in that recipe with a chunky mixture of avocado, tomatoes, and onions. A sprinkling of cheese goes over the top, of course. Same process, different flavor profile. Amazing result.
If you keep chicken cutlets in the freezer (frozen in a thin layer so they defrost quickly) you're never far away from a Healthy 30 Minute Meal!
Ingredients and Substitutions
If your pantry is stocked with a few essentials, then you'll only need a few fresh items to make chicken guacamole:
- Chicken fillets or cutlets - are thin, so they cook quickly in a skillet. Buy them this way, or check our All Recipes tutorial to make chicken cutlets from chicken breasts.
- Butter and olive oil - use one or the other or a combination of both, which is how I roll.
- Sweet paprika - adds color and a hint of peppery flavor.
- Salt and pepper - to taste.
- Guacamole - you don't need much! We use our One Avocado Guacamole Recipe. But, since you have everything out, you might as well make a little extra! Or, buy it prepared from the grocery store.
- Pepper Jack cheese - shredded (see picture below.) It adds kick because it's made with spices and peppers mixed into it. Not a fan? Use Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese instead!
3 easy steps
Guacamole Chicken Melts can be broken down into three simple tasks:
Step 1 - Make guacamole. Make extra if you would like a little more on the side. One avocado yields just the right amount for about 1 pound of thin-sliced chicken.
Simply mix together one mashed avocado, chopped plum tomato, chopped red (or white) onion, lemon juice, and salt. Use cilantro if you have some on hand. Or, skip this step and buy it prepared.
Step 2 - Cook chicken on the stovetop. You'll need a sturdy skillet, which is a staple of so many 30-minute dinners, including this one.
Pat chicken dry and season it with pepper and salt. Sprinkle paprika all over the chicken. You really don't need to measure, but you can!
Add olive oil and/or butter to a large pan over medium-high heat. Arrange the chicken in a single layer and allow it to cook, untouched for about 3-4 minutes so the side against the pan begins to brown. Flip the chicken over and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Step 3 - Layer guacamole, cheese, cover, and melt. Spread guacamole over the top of each piece of chicken and sprinkle Pepper Jack (or your cheese of choice) on top. Turn off the heat, but leave the pan on the burner. Cover and allow the cheese to melt! It only takes a few minutes.
Enjoy Chicken Guacamole Melts with cauliflower rice, a salad, or low-carb tortilla chips!
More Stovetop Chicken Recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
Guacamole Chicken Melts Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 One Avocado Guacamole see recipe link or recipe below
- 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese shredded; or replace with Monterey Jack or Mozzarella Cheeses
- 1 Haas Avocado mashed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 plum tomato diced
- 2 Tablespoons onion diced
- cilantro, optional chopped
- Add olive oil and butter to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat until butter is melted and begins to froth.
- Season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper and sprinkle with paprika.
- Place cutlets in a single layer in the skillet, working in batches if necessary.
- Cook chicken cutlets for about 3-4 minutes without disturbing. Flip to the other side and cook for 3-4 minutes more or cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Cooking time will vary depending upon the thickness of the chicken.
- If preparing fresh guacamole, mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- When chicken is cooked through, turn heat off or to low. Top each piece of chicken with a portion of the guacamole and sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover skillet with a lid until the cheese melts, about 2-3 minutes. Enjoy immediately.
This chicken recipe really is the best! I love making it as a weeknight dinner.
Thanks for your comment! I'm so glad you like it!
This is such a great way to cook chicken! Love the guacamole you added to the top!