Meatless Meatloaf Muffins with beans instead of beef and buffalo wing sauce are full of zesty flavor!
It’s a vegan meatloaf recipe variation of our popular Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf Cups that anyone who enjoys spicy food will love!
Chances are you have most of the ingredients for this recipe on hand!
How to Make Meatless Meatloaf Muffins with Beans
We are partial to making meatloaf in muffin tins. Not only is the result cute and portable, but muffins or “cupcakes” cook quickly. This vegan meatloaf recipe also tend to stay more compact than a regular-sized loaf.
It’s day 2 in the picture below and these spicy meatless meatloaf muffins with beans are going strong.
Beans are the main ingredient and protein source in this recipe. Start with 2 cans of Cannellini or white kidney beans. We preferred a white bean in this recipe to show off the bright colored hot sauce, but black beans are also an option.
Mash beans with a fork or potato masher until chunky. Smash all of them! But, the mixture shouldn’t be smooth and creamy.
Add the following ingredients to the bowl with the beans:
- Old-fashioned oatmeal is a binder in this recipe and keeps it gluten-free. There’s no need to grind the oatmeal.
- Nutritional yeast adds a touch of cheesy flavor and a bit of protein.
- Diced onion and celery add flavor and bulk.
- Last but not least, buffalo wing sauce adds incredible spicy flavor.
Most buffalo wing sauces are vegan. (We used Frank’s.) To make your own, check out Homemade Buffalo Sauce by The Real Food Dietitians.
Stir the mixture until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated. You’re done when you don’t see any oatmeal, which might take a minute or two.
Scoop the mixture into muffin tin wells that have been sprayed to prevent sticking. Press the mixture down with the back of a spoon. It should be compact and firm. Brush a little more hot wing sauce on the top, if you dare!
Once the vegetarian meatloaf muffins are finished baking, allow them to sit for about 10 minutes, before carefully removing.
And, if you have any hot sauce leftover, use it to make some Roasted Buffalo Chick Peas.
Please rate this recipe if you make it and tag #DinnerMom or @DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Meatless Meatloaf Muffins with Beans and Buffalo Sauce
- 31 ounces Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed; 2 cans
- 1/2 cup oatmeal old-fashioned
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce plus a little to brush on top if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mash cannellini beans in a large bowl with a fork or potato masher.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix for several minutes so that all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Divide mixture between 12 muffin tins coated to prevent sticking.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture down in each muffin tin well so it's firm and compact.
- Brush additional buffalo wing sauce over the top, if desired.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Allow meatloaf muffins to rest for about 10 minutes before carefully running a knife around the edge and popping out to eat.