Schools out and my girls are a baking! If you start to see a few more sweets, treats and snacks popping up on the blog over the summer, you'll know why. We always have a blast in the kitchen and it's amazing to see their creativity in action. An added bonus, they enjoy trying out new foods when they have a hand in the process. Without delay, we whipped up this vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe.
These chocolaty cookies disappear quickly around here. But, it's hard to feel guilty since oatmeal is involved. 🙂
This recipe is adapted from the Quaker Oat's Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe that you often find printed on the lid of the oats canister. We made a few changes besides switching out the raisins for chocolate chips. We veganized it (is that a word?) And, by way of a happy accident, we cut way back on the amount of butter used.
The dough is thick, but easy to work with. We made the vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe with egg replacers. A combination of 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 Tablespoon water and 1 Tablespoon vinegar was substituted for each egg. We've used commercial egg replacers with success as well. And, regular eggs should work just fine in this recipe.
Also, to keep this dairy and soy free, we used a butter substitute and chocolate chips that were free of these ingredients too.
We had a bit of a disagreement as to whether the dough needed to be rolled into balls before placing it on the cookie sheet. We did it both ways. Can you tell?
Allow the cookies to remain on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes after removing them from the oven. Then, transfer them to a wire rack. You may want to put up a DO NOT TOUCH sign since they're hard to resist.
This dough makes about 4 dozen cookies. If we make 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies around here, then we end up eating 4 dozen cookies in short order.
A better plan for us is to make just one batch. We roll the remaining dough into logs, wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it in the freezer. Now we can have this vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe any time we want.
My baby girl staged this picture. She loved scattering the chocolate chips all around (and eating a few in the process.) Don't you want to just reach out and take a bite?
A motto to live by when eating these cookies. After all, oatmeal is involved!
Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter 1 stick, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 egg replacers 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 Tablespoons water, 2 Tablespoons white vinegar or 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups old fashioned oats uncooked
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Prepare egg replacer by combining baking powder, water and vinegar in a separate, small bowl.
- Add the egg replacer and vanilla to the creamed sugar and stir until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and oats to the creamed sugar and stir until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded Tablespoons of dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until tops begin to brown.
- Allow cookies to remain on cookie sheet for several minutes after being removed from the oven.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack and allow to cool completely.