Patroitic White Chocolate Popcorn with pops of dried cherries and festive sprinkles is an easy-to-make, crowd-pleasing treat for a patriotic special occasion…or your next family movie night!
I’ve caught the flavored popcorn bug. Dear readers…consider yourself warned! After thoroughly enjoying Savory Popcorn with Parmesan Cheese and Fresh Herbs, I moved to the sweeter side of the spectrum.
When perusing Pinterest for easy ways to add patriotic touches to the upcoming Fourth of July weekend festivities, I could have easily become obsessed with gourmet mustards to top hot dogs and hamburgers at our barbecue. Or, I thought about preparing a batch of homemade fortune cookies (which have been on my bucket list for some time.)
Instead, I came across an article for 10 Flavored Popcorn Recipes. Ten! Let’s just say I’ve been enjoying sweet and savory popcorn allllll weekend looong. 🙂
Since we are headed into the holiday weekend, I couldn’t wait to share this festive sweet concoction!
White Chocolate Popcorn Tips
Making chocolate covered popcorn seems like a no-brainer. Pop the corn kernels. Drizzle with chocolate. Enjoy! And, it is easy. But, just in case you have ever ended up with clumps of coated popcorn and others with none at all…or a big mess in your kitchen, I’ve got a few tips:
- 1/4 cup of kernels yields about 8 cups popped. I used an air popper. You can also pop corn in a brown paper bag, on the stove or buy microwave popcorn bags at the store. It’s best to start with plain, unbuttered, unsalted (or lightly salted) popcorn.
- Be sure to pick out any un-popped kernels!
- Transfer the popped kernels to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and push the pieces together.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate in a back and forth motion over the popcorn and use a tooth pick to further distribute the chocolate over the popcorn. Add sprinkles, if desired.
- I looove the pop of dried cherries in the mix. They are hard to spot because I mixed them into the chocolate before drizzling it over the popcorn.
- Allow the popcorn to set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Once it has set, break the popcorn into pieces and enjoy!
Patriotic White Chocolate Popcorn with Dried Cherries
- 8 cups popcorn popped, 1/4 cup unpopped
- 1 cup white chocolate 6 ounces
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- Sprinkles as desired
- Place popped popcorn on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high in 30 second internals. Stir each time. It takes about 1 minute and 30 seconds to melt.
- Stir dried cherries into the melted white chocolate
- Drizzle chocolate in a back and forth motion over the popcorn.
- Use a tooth pick to further distribute chocolate, if desired.
- Shake sprinkles over the top of the popcorn.
- Place baking sheet in the refrigerator and allow chocolate to set for about 30 minutes.
- Break in bite-size pieces and enjoy!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!