Cucumber Onion Salad Recipe
Cucumber and Red Onion Salad with a vinegar dressing is an easy, low-calorie and tasty side dish you'll find yourself making again and again.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups cucumber, peeled and spiralized can also slice or chop, about 2 medium-sized cucumbers
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced or diced
- 2 Tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds optional
Allow cut cucumber to drain in a colander for about 15 minutes and blot dry with a towel.
Discard loose and excess seeds.
Toss cucumber and red onion with seasoned rice vinegar.
If desired, toast sesame seeds by heating in non-stick pan for about 5 minutes or until sesame seeds begin to brown and are fragrant. Stir frequently.
Drain off excess liquid before serving.
Top with sesame seeds, if using.
- Cucumbers can be sliced or diced instead of spiralized.
- We used seasoned rice vinegar because it adds a touch of sweetness. However, unseasoned vinegar with no sugar is also an option. Add a pinch of your sweetener of choice if desired.
- Cucumbers are very watery. Once you have peeled and spiralized, sliced, or diced them, allow them to drain, 20 minutes is ideal.
- I sliced the red onion extremely thin using a mandolin to achieve a similar look and feel to the cucumber noodles.
- Once everything is mixed together, drain off excess liquid before serving.
- Top with sesame seeds or chia seeds!
- Many add-ins will work well in this recipe including tomatoes, radishes and carrots.
Calories: 12kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 90mg | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.2mg