Pasta Fagioli Soup
Check your pantry. You might have most everything you need for this delicious pasta fagioli soup.
Servings 4 Servings
- 1 cup ground beef browned and crumbled, about ½ pound uncooked. Leave this out for the vegan version
- 2 cups ditali or macaroni pasta cooked, about 2 ounces uncooked
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup celery diced
- ½ cup carrot thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes two 14.5 ounce cans
- 1 cup red kidney beans drained and rinsed* or half of 15.8 ounce can
- 1 cup Great Northern beans drained and rinsed* or half of 15.8 ounce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ cup tomato juice 5.5 ounce can
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano dried
- ½ teaspoon basil dried
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon thyme dried
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
Prepare ingredients as indicated above. Brown ground beef, cook pasta, cut vegetables, open cans and drain contents.
Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
Add remaining ingredients to the pot and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes more.
Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Leave out pasta to keep recipe South Beach Diet Phase 1 Compliant - and yes it is really tasty even without the pasta!
*Use the other half of the beans to make a batch for the freezer. While you have everything out, fill up a plastic bag that seals with the ingredients. Or, just double the recipe and freeze the leftovers.
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 673mg | Potassium: 1348mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 3350IU | Vitamin C: 33.2mg | Calcium: 151mg | Iron: 6.8mg