Lemon Chicken Soup with Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Lemon Chicken Soup with Cauliflower Rice has zesty flavor, just like the dish you'll find at a Greek restaurant. Our healthy twist makes it lower in carbs and gluten-free. It's ready in under 30 minutes and uses just one pot...even if your chicken is uncooked!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion diced
- ½ cup carrot sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 3 garlic cloves minced or pressed
- 32 ounces broth lower in salt is better; chicken or vegetable
- 1-2 lemons zested
- salt to taste Generally not needed due to high sodium content in broth.
- 12 ounces chicken breast cutlets or breasts pounded to ½ inch in thickness; uncooked
- 1 cup baby spinach 1 large handful
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and cauliflower rice and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
Add broth, salt (if desired,) lemon zest, and uncooked chicken to the pot. Cover with a lid.
Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5-7 minutes.
Stir in spinach and simmer for 5 minutes more.
Turn off heat and remove chicken from pot with tongs. Shred or cut into bite-sized pieces and return to pot.
Stir in juice from the lemons, feta cheese and enjoy!
- Chicken is ready to eat when the internal temperature reaches 165 °F. The most accurate way to check is to insert a temperature probe in the thickest part of the chicken. Lift out a piece of chicken with tongs and stick the probe in the side. (see picture above)
- To make with cooked chicken, stir cooked chicken into soup mixture and cook until warmed through.
- To make your own cauliflower rice, cut the cauliflower florets from the stalk. Drop them into a food processor. Pulse for about 60 seconds or until you have a consistency that resembles rice. Don't over process or puree. It's better for the rice to be on the chunky side for this recipe.
- Store leftovers in the freezer in glass or plastic containers. When you are ready to enjoy the soup, microwave from frozen for 1-2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 368mg | Potassium: 917mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3462IU | Vitamin C: 59mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 2mg