This week the Sunday Supper group partnered with Gallo Family Vineyards to showcase ways to pair, cook and entertain with Hearty Burgundy wine. It’s turning 50 this year and that deserves a celebration! I was lucky enough to receive a limited edition bottle commemorating the anniversary. It contains the “original Red Blend,” combining flavors ranging from dark berry to red plum and is matched as close as possible to the original blend for this wine. I’m a little nostalgic at the thought.
The first recipe that came to mind for this occasion is burgundy mushroom sauce.
Sweet onions, garlic and meaty mushrooms are sauteed and then soak up Hearty Burgundy wine while the mixture reduces to a sauce. You’d think such a rich tasting side would take a long time to prepare. But, it doesn’t. The entire steak dinner takes about 30 minutes start to finish.
I love the out-on-the-town feel of this recipe! The steak is for my hubby. It’s a great topping on burgers too. But, I’d be perfectly happy with just a big bowl of the burgundy mushroom sauce and a glass of Hearty Burgundy wine. 🙂
Visit Gallo Family Vineyards to learn more about their selection of wines, perfectly pair wine with various types of food or use the store locator. The Limited Edition Hearty Burgundy wine is in stores now. They offer 16 different wines year-round, so it’s easy find the perfect one. You can also stay connected through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. However, the opinions expressed herein are completely my own and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
- 4 beef filets, about 1¼ inch in thickness
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- ¼ cup butter or substitute
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup Hearty Burgundy wine
- Rub both sides of the beef filets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Set beef filets aside and allow them to reach room temperature while preparing mushroom sauce.
- Melt butter and 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme and cook for about 3 minutes more.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any brown bits and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove mushroom sauce to serving dish and keep warm.
- The pan should still be hot from mushroom sauce.
- The instructions below are for a medium-rare steak. Add 1-2 minutes to the cook time for a medium-well to well-done steak.
- Add beef filets to pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes without moving the filets.
- Flip the beef filets and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Allow steak to rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Top steaks with Burgundy Mushroom Sauce.
Be sure to check out the other spectacular recipes and ideas for pairing, cooking and entertaining with Hearty Burgundy.
- Fruity Burgundy Sangria by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry by Webicurean
- Beef Burgundy Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef by The Dinner-Mom
- Classic Coq au Vin by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cornish Beef Pasty with Burgundy Gravy by Neighborfood
- Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Majestic Burgundy Mushrooms & Cookie Cups with Burgundy Cream by NinjaBaking.com
- Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Oeufs en Meurette by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pollo Alla Cacciatorra (Hunter-Style Chicken) by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Salmon with Burgundy-Balsamic Glaze by girlichef
- Sausage & Mushroom Ragu by The Messy Baker
- Sausages in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms by Soni’s Food
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle by Hip Foodie Mom
- Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Berry Burgundy Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Red Wine Cherry Chocolate Bars by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.