This recipe works well with many types of fish including mahi mahi, swai and tilapia. It even works on Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken. But, it is spectacular on basa.
I pick this fish up at my local supermarket--nothing exotic going on here. It has a moist, light-firm texture and a very mild fish flavor. That's what makes it so popular these days. It easily soaks up the lemon, butter and spices in this recipe. You won't believe you are eating a cousin to a catfish!
I partnered with Darlene Hardister-Heumann who created this recipe for her cookbook, The Southern Sass Cookbook: It's All in the Sass! and offered it at our meal assembly store. It was a hit!
Now, I still enjoy this recipe at home because it's allergy friendly and depending upon how much and what type of butter is used, low in WW points. It's also nice over salad greens or in a fish taco. 🙂
The fresh feel of this dish is owed to the chopped green onions and parsley. And, of course, the fresh squeezed lemon. 🙂
Easy Prep For Lemony Baked Basa
The preparation is E-A-S-Y. Pour the melted butter and lemon over the fish and then sprinkle the rest of the ingredients over the top. Or, use pats of butter that will melt during the cooking process.
It is easy to adjust the number of servings. Each fish fillet is topped with:
- 1 Tablespoon butter (or substitute)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of lemon-pepper seasoning
- Dash of garlic powder,
- Smidgeon of paprika
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tablespoon green onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon parsley
I have adorable measuring spoons with these labels. But, you don't need them...just evenly sprinkle the spices over the top of the fish.
Lemony baked basa is great over salad greens or in a fish taco too! Doesn't it just shriek healthy goodness? You'll see just how easy it is to make in this 30 second video...any mild white fish works. Tilapia is used in the video.
Pin it for later or scroll down to the recipe!
Lemony Baked Basa
- 4 basa fish fillets or other mild white fish about 4 ounces each
- 8 teaspoons butter or substitute, melted
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash paprika
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup green onions sliced thin
- 2 Tablespoons parsley chopped
- Lemon wedges optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat fish fillets dry and place in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Pour lemon juice and melted butter over fish.
- Sprinkle remaining ingredients over fish.
- Bake uncovered for 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.
- Serve with lemon wedges, if using.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!