Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili with Quinoa is a hearty, meatless recipe that will even satisfy the carnivores in your house.
If the mere mention of “chili” conjures up a very specific bowl of a beefy, meaty soup, then feel free to call this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili…Soup or Stoup. Lie, beg…do what you must to get your team to try this recipe. It’s that good. 🙂
I may or may not have used a few tricks of my own. #sorrynotsorrry
So…I did a little research to support my hypothesis that I could indeed call this “chili.”
First, I found that the 4th Thursday of February is National Chili Day, which just happens to be February 25 this year! Of course, this is not a public holiday. But, you will find lots of great chili recipes out on social media.
(And, yes…it’s true that food holidays are mostly made-up holidays by associations and such. But, they are fun opportunities to celebrate your favorite foods!)
But, what I really wanted to know was whether I could indeed call this recipe “chili” when in fact there was no meat involved. It turns out the great debate is about whether or not chili should contain beans. It’s a regional issue according to Beans in Chili by the Huffington Post. Meat is a given. Sooooo…..add add some crumbled ground beef or turkey to this recipe if that’s how you roll.
Beans, no beans. Meat, no meat. In my book, so long as it tastes great, you can call it chili if you want to!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili Notes
This super easy dish cooks in one pot in less than 30 minutes. It’s the perfect weeknight meal and does just as well for entertaining.
- Sweet potatoes can be peeled and cubed ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Freeze leftovers or extra batches in tightly-sealing plastic bags or individual freezer containers.
- Add crumbled beef or turkey, if desired.
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream.
Check out some other chili variations we love!
- Creamy White Bean Chicken Chili by The Dinner-Mom
- Crock Pot Chili by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Easy Chili Cheese Dip by The Surburban Soapbox
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups of diced sweet potato (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup diced onion (about ½ large onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 32 ounce carton (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup quinoa (uncooked)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice (or squeeze of fresh lime juice)
- Place olive oil in large pot and heat over medium high heat.
- Add sweet potato and onion to pot and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for about a minute more.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for cilantro and lime juice, to pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender and the quinoa is cooked.
- Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!