This Fast and Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe with hominy takes less than 30 minutes to make!
Mexican inspired dinners always bring out a smile. That's why you'll find us making dishes like Burrito Pie Casserole and Mexican Street Corn in a Cup on a weekly basis.
It's a meal planning thing. That's just what we do on Taco or Tex-Mex Tuesdays!
This recipe is a variation of Shrimp Tortilla Soup. It's really the same recipe, except that you'll need cooked chicken. And, we've got you covered with a chicken recipe that's perfect for recipes just like this.
How to Make Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is easily The Best Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. It's healthy, fast and the perfect combination of fresh and convenience ingredients.
To begin, saute onion and garlic in olive oil in a large stock pot. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Bam! You're done.
The key is to have all of the ingredients prepped before you begin.
- Chicken - Use leftover chicken, if available. Otherwise, make 3 Ingredient Salsa Chicken or Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken. Cubed or shredded chicken that is frozen does not need to be defrosted first.
- Corn - Fresh corn really makes this Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup pop. It takes about 2 minutes to Microwave Corn on the Cob. You'll only need 1 large ear of corn. Frozen corn does not need to be defrosted first.
- Hominy - Have you ever tried it? It's a type of corn that has been processed to remove the hull and germ. Read more about What Kind of Corn is Hominy at The Spruce. This ingredient can be left out if desired.
- Cilantro - If you don't love it, leave it off!
Of course, black beans can be cooked from dried and fresh tomatoes can be crushed. However, if using canned products, open them up and have them ready to go!
Leave out the chicken and add tofu or extra beans for Vegan Tortilla Soup.
Tip: When there are various diets in your house, prepare and cook this recipe without chicken. Serve chicken on the side, along with all the other toppings. Now, everyone is happy. 🙂
Toppings for Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
Make it a fiesta by preparing a mini topping bar and include ingredients like these:
- Tortilla chips
- Shredded cheeses such as Colby Jack, Monterey Jack or Cotija
- Sour cream
- Various proteins, such as chicken and tofu, if necessary
How to Freeze Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is the exact recipe we used at our Make Ahead Meal Kitchen. Add all of the ingredients to a freezer bag. The chicken should be cooked. Nothing else needs to be cooked first!
Remove excess air from the plastic bag and store it flat, so it will defrost quickly. When you're ready to make the soup, defrost the bag overnight in the refrigerator. Pour the contents into a large pot and cook starting with Step 3.
Please rate this recipe if you make it and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low salt or chicken broth
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces hominy rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 4 ounces mild green chili peppers diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 Tablespoon fresh
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups chicken cooked and cubed
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Optional toppings such as cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for cilantro and optional toppings) to pot and stir to combine. Note: Frozen corn and/or frozen cubed chicken do not need to be defrosted first.
- Bring soup to a slow boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with optional toppings
Tortilla soup is my favorite! And I like this even better if it is freezable! Thanks!
It's a nice dish to have in the freezer!
I love soup and this looks exactly what my family would love. I can't wait to try it.
Yay! I hope you enjoy it!