Fresh Corn and Black Bean Salsa is minutes away when you microwave corn on the cob in the husk. Scoop it up, top your favorite Tex-Mex dish or just savor how the fresh flavors deliciously come together.
Salsa and chips = a party at our house. Sometimes we go tropical with this Easy Pineapple Salsa Recipe. Other times creamy wins out with Simple Guacamole Dip. With these recipes, we add baked chicken or fish and make it a meal.
But, when it’s fresh corn and black bean salsa, can it be a meal too?
It’s a debate I have often. This “appetizer” has all the right stuff: protein, vegetables/fruits and possibly even grains with the addition of a healthy chip.
It comes together in a tangy base that is infused with lime juice, red wine vinegar and fresh cilantro. It’s hard to stop at just a few bites. Rather than fighting the urge to have just one chip, make it a salad or a rice bowl!
Now that’s a dinner party!
How to Make Fresh Corn and Black Bean Salsa
Make this recipe by combining the freshest ingredients possible! Amounts are provided. But, this is a more or less recipe. As in, add more of what you love and leave out what you don’t like!
I love fresh sweet corn off the cob. Check out this post on how to microwave corn in the husk in just a few minutes. One large corn cob is about 1 cup.
Dice 2-3 roma tomatoes, for about 1 cup. Any type of tomato can be used, but roma or plum tomatoes are easy to work with when only the thick outer flesh is needed.
Finely dice half a red onion…or a green onion or a white onion.
Drain and rinse the black beans. (Of course, you can use beans cooked from dry too.)
Snip the cilantro. I love cilantro and always add a little extra. 🙂 But, if you have some leftover, then check out the other recipes that use cilantro.
Add everything to a bowl, along with lime juice and red wine vinegar. Mix to combine and then let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes. The longer it sits the better it gets!!!
Then, let the party begin!
Serving Ideas for Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Spread over cooked fish (such as Lemony Baked Basa) or chicken for a southwestern flare.
- Add to rice bowls or tacos.
- Add it to salads, such as Layered Taco Salad in a Mason Jar.
It’s not just for chips!
Video showing how to make Fresh Corn and Black Bean Salsa
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media if you make it. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels cooked, about 1 large corn cob
- 1 cup plum tomato diced, about 2 medium
- 1/2 cup red onion diced, about half of an onion
- 1.5 cup black beans drained and rinsed (15 ounce can)
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Chips or Other Dippers Optional
- Prepare the ingredients as indicated and then add everything to a large bowl. Follow directions to Microwave Corn on the Cob with the husk in place.
- Stir to combine and then let rest for about 10-15 minutes so that the flavors meld together.
- Serve with chips or on top of your favorite Mexican Dish!