Corn and Crab Chowder boasts corn fresh off the cob, lump crab meat and bit of heat (if you dare.) It’s creamy too…but, you’ll be surprised at the way this gluten-free and low-cal soup is prepared.
At first taste, corn and crab chowder is sweet. As the chowder lingers on your palate and you’re savoring the sweetness, the heat kicks in. Shazowee! You wonder if you can take it. But, you are drawn right back for another taste because it’s so addictive.
If you’ve ever tried Crispers’ Kickin Crab Chowder, you know just what I’m talking about. This recipe is inspired by too frequent visits to Crispers to get my chowder fix. Plus, my youngest dd wanted to try this soup and she has food allergies (dairy, soy, egg and peanuts.) Not to mention, if I could make it a bit healthier, then I could enjoy this delicious soup much more frequently. 🙂
A makeover was in order, so we could all sit down and enjoy a cup of delightful corn and crab chowder together…at home.
The secret to creamy, lower-calorie Corn and Crab Chowder is…
More corn. The soup is thickened with pureed corn and skim milk…or even rice milk…and it works fantastically. It has low-cal creaminess without heavy cream, flour, roux or even potatoes.
Fresh corn is best…but, frozen works too!
Fresh, sweet corn is absolutely my first choice for this chowder. If you go fresh, use this quick and easy method to microwave corn in its husk and easily remove the silky strands. But, defrosted, frozen corn works well too.
Not a fan of crab? It’s very tasty with chicken too!
I know…crab is a bit pricey and decadent. Got some leftover chicken? It’s delicious in this corn chowder.
Corn and Crab Chowder
- 3 cups corn kernels divided (approx. 6 ears of fresh corn, depending upon size)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups low-sodium broth vegetable or chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces fresh lump crab meat shell pieces are removed
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Stir in olive oil.
- Add onion, celery and garlic to pot and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add broth, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, sugar and 1 cup of corn.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- While soup simmers, combine remaining 2 cups of corn and milk in a blender and process. Mixture should be fairly smooth, but some corn kernels may remain.
- Stir corn and milk mixture into soup mixture and simmer for about 5 minutes more.
- Add crab meat to chowder, being careful not to break apart large clumps.
- Simmer 3-5 minutes more.
- Ladle into bowls.