This simple dish of pasta with olive oil, garlic and mushrooms makes me very happy. It’s healthy, pretty and ready before anyone can ask, “What’s for dinner?”
What’s not to like? I used whole wheat noodles which put me in a healthy frame of mind. The pasta is bathed in olive oil and sauteed garlic. And, there’s a whole pound of mushrooms…enough to have one with every bite. Fresh basil and freshly shaved Parmesan cheese finish the dish. Even though it only takes about 20 minutes to make, start to finish, dinner takes on a special, out-to-dinner feel. We eat a little slower and talk a little longer. The pace slows down and life is good.
Everyone at my house would agree with that assessment. Yet, each family member would put their own little spin on my version of the perfect pasta, known as Spaghetti Aglio e Olio in Italy.
My hubby needs a little meat. So, he might add a meatball or two…or three. (By the way, the Sundried Tomato and Mozzarella Cheese Gourmet Meatloaf recipe makes awesome meatballs.)
My sweet darling who is allergic to dairy would sprinkle a vegan substitute over the top or she might skip “cheese” altogether. Instead, she might add some diced chicken sausage or some other meat to boost the protein.
My other darling daughter could do without the “green stuff”…and would probably heap on a whole lot more Parmesan than what you see here. I can’t blame her. Fresh shaved Parmesan cheese is de-lovely!
I get any extra mushrooms. 🙂
Everyone enjoys a little bread on the side.
And, there are plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day!
Since I’m the chef around here and I love mushrooms, I added a heaping amount of baby bella and white mushrooms when I was sauteeing the garlic. But, you could certainly go an entirely different direction with this…Zucchini? Asparagus? Spinach? Tomatoes? What’s your pleasure?
- 1 pound dried spaghetti (preferably whole wheat)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8-10 large basil leaves, sliced into thin strips
- Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated (preferably fresh)
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions, reserving a quarter cup of the pasta water.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and salt and saute for about 5-7 minutes. The mushrooms should be soft and the garlic golden.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the pan and stir to incorporate.
- Add drained spaghetti noodles to the skillet and stir to coat with olive oil mixture.
- Top with basil leaves and Parmesan cheese,
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!