Make keto Cauliflower Waffles in 10 minutes with 3 ingredients. This fun and healthy chaffle recipe is for anyone that wants to eat more veggies.
I've found another delicious way to use cauliflower rice! This recipe is a variation of our popular cauliflower muffins.
It still has only a few ingredients. But, instead of pressing everything into a muffin tin, the batter is flattened in a waffle maker like keto chaffles. So, it's ready in 10 minutes.
The best part? Use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice that you don't defrost. That's right. We added these cauliflower waffles to the top of our collection of frozen cauliflower rice recipes.
Call it what you want: chaffle, waffle fries, or a tasty layer of a sandwich. I'll leave the PR to you! No matter what you call it, you can feel good about the result because it uses healthy, whole ingredients and just happens to be low-carb and keto-friendly too.
Here's what you'll need to make cauliflower waffles.
- 1 large Egg - 2 egg whites can be used instead. An extra large or regular-sized egg may be used instead, but the amount of batter will be slightly different.
- ½ cup shredded cheese - Use finely shredded cheese if possible because it distributes more evenly in the batter. We used a Colby-Jack mix.
- Any type of cheese will work. Cheddar cheese will give it a slightly bolder flavor. Pepper Jack cheese makes for a spicy version. On the other hand, mozzarella cheese will result in a very mild taste and may require a little seasonings to up the flavor.
- ½ cup cauliflower rice - fresh or frozen
- If using frozen cauli-rice, don't defrost it first. But, you will need to break it up if it's clumped together so it will mix with the egg and cheese.
- You can buy fresh cauliflower rice in the produce area. Or, buy a head of cauliflower and use a food processor or hand grater to turn it into fine crumbles.
- Optional seasoning - add up to ¼ teaspoon of seasoning such as garlic powder or Italian seasoning.
I'm sticking with 3 ingredients for this recipe, but you can definitely add salt, pepper and favorite spices if you want. Depending upon the cheese you use, salt is added and the chaffle is flavored too.
Waffle Iron Options
We made this recipe with the Dash Mini Waffle Maker. I'm a bit obsessed with it's convenience, size, and cost. It's small so I didn't have any trouble finding a place to store it. And, it wasn't a big investment either.
You can make this in a regular-sized or Belgian waffle iron too! Check the instructions for your appliance to determine how much batter to use at once.
Directions with Pictures
These are the easy steps to make the recipe in a Dash.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Stir egg, shredded cheese, and cauliflower rice together in a small bowl. Stir in any seasonings you decided to add too. It will be on the thick side.
- The recipe yields ½ cup to ¾ cup of batter, depending upon the size of the cauliflower crumbles. Large fresh crumbles will give you more batter. Frozen cauliflower rice results in about ½ cup batter.
- Open the waffle iron and mist with cooking spray. Transfer about ¼ cup of batter into the bottom half and spread it to the edges.
- If you used larger, fresh cauliflower crumbles, then you may be able to make 3 chaffles!
- Note: If desired, use a silicone spatula to spread the batter completely to the edge for a nice, clean finish. You don't have to be too particular though. It will taste great either way.
- Allow the waffle to cook for about 4 minutes. Remove with silicone tongs. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter! They will continue to crisp and firm for a few minutes after you remove them.
Make them once and you'll have the process down!
How do you know when the waffle is done?
When the steam stops streaming from the sides, the waffle is done. There's an indicator light too. But, it may still need a little extra time after that goes off. It takes about 4 minutes in the Dash model.
You can leave them in a little longer than necessary without an issue! You can even open and check at about 3 minutes to see the progress.
How to Serve
There are endless ways to serve this savory keto cauliflower waffles.
- Turn it into a pizza
- Use as a bun for your burger
- It's bread for a sandwich
- Turn it into a grilled cheese sandwich.
- It's a side dish too!
Storage and Reheating
This version of the chaffle is best enjoyed immediately or after taking a little extra effort to crisp it up again if it has been refrigerated or frozen.
Refrigerator - Store up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Reheat - Reheat in a toaster oven, toaster or air fryer. If you've made waffles with almond flour, you may find you need a couple of extra minutes for this version to get it really crispy. The microwave is not recommended.
Freeze - Freeze in an airtight storage container up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen or after defrosting in the refrigerator overnight.
Looking for more low-carb recipes?
Check out all our Keto-Friendly South Beach Diet Recipes!
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Colby Jack, shredded cheese finely shredded; any type of shredded cheese may be used
- ½ cup cauliflower rice fresh or frozen. Do NOT defrost if using frozen, but break up any hard clumps before measuring.
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, Italian seasoning or other spice of choice. OPTIONAL
- Preheat the waffle maker. Note: The instructions assume you are using a mini waffle maker, like the Dash. See notes if you're using a regular-sized or Belgian waffle maker.
- Stir egg, shredded cheese, and cauliflower rice together in a small bowl. Stir in any seasonings you decided to use too. It will be on the thick side.
- Open the waffle iron and mist it with cooking spray. Transfer about ¼ cup of batter into the bottom. Use a silicone spatula to spread the batter to the edge of the well for a clean edge.Note: this recipe yields 2 to 3 chaffles depending upon the size of the cauliflower crumbles and how thick you spread the batter.
- Allow the chaffle to cook for about 4 minutes or until the steam no longer escapes from the sides of the waffle maker. Remove with silicone tongs.
- Repeat with remaining batter. The chaffles will continue to crisp and firm up for a few minutes after you remove them. Enjoy!
- Different Waffle Maker - If using a different type of waffle maker then follow the directions for your appliance. The general process works the same way.
- Store - Place chaffles in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in a toaster or air fryer until crispy