This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
Make keto Cauliflower Waffles in 10 minutes with 3 ingredients. This fun and healthy chaffle recipe is for anyone that wants to eat more veggies.
I've found another delicious way to use cauliflower rice! This recipe is a variation of our popular cauliflower muffins.
It still has only a few ingredients. But, instead of pressing everything into a muffin tin, the batter is flattened in a waffle maker like keto chaffles. So, it's ready in 10 minutes.
The best part? Use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice that you don't defrost. That's right. We added these cauliflower waffles to the top of our collection of frozen cauliflower rice recipes.
Call it what you want: chaffle, waffle fries, or a tasty layer of a sandwich. I'll leave the PR to you! No matter what you call it, you can feel good about the result because it uses healthy, whole ingredients and just happens to be low-carb and keto-friendly too.
Here's what you'll need to make cauliflower waffles.
- 1 large egg - 2 egg whites can be used instead. An extra large or regular-sized egg may be used instead, but the amount of batter will be slightly different.
- ½ cup shredded cheese - Use finely shredded cheese if possible because it distributes more evenly in the batter. We used a Colby-Jack mix.
- Any type of cheese will work. Cheddar cheese will give it a slightly bolder flavor. Pepper Jack cheese makes for a spicy version. On the other hand, mozzarella cheese will result in a very mild taste and may require a little seasoning to up the flavor.
- ½ cup cauliflower rice - fresh or frozen
- If using frozen cauli-rice, don't defrost it first. But, you will need to break it up if it's clumped together so it will mix with the egg and cheese.
- You can buy fresh cauliflower rice in the produce area. Or, buy a head of cauliflower and use a food processor or hand grater to turn it into fine crumbles.
- Optional seasoning - add up to ¼ teaspoon of seasonings, such as garlic powder or Italian seasoning.
I'm sticking with 3 ingredients for this recipe, but you can add salt, pepper, and spices if you want.
Waffle Iron Options
We made this recipe with the Dash Mini Waffle Maker. I'm a bit obsessed with its convenience, size, and cost. It's small, so I didn't have any trouble finding a place to store it. And, it wasn't a big investment either.
You can make this in a regular-sized or Belgian waffle iron too! Check the instructions for your appliance to determine how much batter to use at once.
Directions with Pictures
These are the easy steps to make the cauliflower waffle recipe in a Dash.
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Stir egg, shredded cheese, and cauliflower rice together in a small bowl. Stir in any seasonings you decided to add too. It will be on the thick side.
- The recipe yields ½ cup to ¾ cup of batter, depending upon the size of the cauliflower crumbles. Large fresh crumbles will give you more batter. Frozen cauliflower rice results in about ½ cup of batter.
- Open the waffle iron and mist with cooking spray. Transfer about ¼ cup of batter into the bottom half and spread it to the edges.
- If you used larger, fresh cauliflower crumbles, then you may be able to make 3 chaffles!
- Note: If desired, use a silicone spatula to spread the batter completely to the edge for a nice, clean finish. You don't have to be too particular, though. It will taste great either way.
- Allow the waffle to cook for about 4 minutes. Remove with silicone tongs. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter! After removing them, they will continue to crisp and firm for a few minutes.
Make them once and you'll have the process down!
How do you know when the waffle is done?
When the steam stops streaming from the sides, the waffle is done. There's an indicator light too. But, it may still need a little extra time after that goes off. It takes about 4 minutes in the Dash model.
You can leave them in a little longer than necessary without an issue! You can even open and check at about 3 minutes to see the progress.
How to Serve
There are endless ways to serve these savory keto cauliflower waffles.
- Turn it into a pizza
- Use as a bun for your burger
- It's bread for a sandwich
- Turn it into a grilled cheese sandwich.
- It's a side dish too!
Storage and Reheating
This version of the chaffle is best enjoyed immediately or after taking a little extra effort to crisp it up again if it has been refrigerated or frozen.
- Refrigerator - Store for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat - Reheat in a toaster oven, toaster, or air fryer. If you've made waffles with almond flour, you may find that you need a couple of extra minutes for this version to get extra crispy. The microwave is not recommended.
- Freeze - Freeze in an airtight storage container for up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen or after defrosting in the refrigerator overnight.
More Chaffle Recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a rating and tell us how you liked it!
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Colby Jack, shredded cheese finely shredded; any type of shredded cheese may be used
- ½ cup cauliflower rice fresh or frozen. Do NOT defrost if using frozen, but break up any hard clumps before measuring.
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, Italian seasoning or other spice of choice. OPTIONAL
- Preheat the waffle maker. Note: The instructions assume you are using a mini waffle maker, like the Dash. See notes if you're using a regular-sized or Belgian waffle maker.
- Stir egg, shredded cheese, and cauliflower rice together in a small bowl. Stir in any seasonings you decided to use too. It will be on the thick side.
- Open the waffle iron and mist it with cooking spray. Transfer about ¼ cup of batter into the bottom. Use a silicone spatula to spread the batter to the edge of the well for a clean edge.Note: this recipe yields 2 to 3 chaffles depending upon the size of the cauliflower crumbles and how thick you spread the batter.
- Allow the chaffle to cook for about 4 minutes or until the steam no longer escapes from the sides of the waffle maker. Remove with silicone tongs.
- Repeat with remaining batter. The chaffles will continue to crisp and firm up for a few minutes after you remove them. Enjoy!
- Different Waffle Maker - If using a different type of waffle maker, follow your appliance's directions. The general process works the same way.
- Store - Place chaffles in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in a toaster or air fryer until crispy
Web story: https://www.dinner-mom.com/web-stories/easy-cauliflower-waffles/