Crock Pot Vegetable Lasagna is stacked a "mile high" with vegetables, 3 cheeses and whole wheat noodles. Just layer everything in your slow cooker and then sit back and wait for the applause.
It's hard to believe that there are 6 cups of vegetables piled high in this Crock Pot Vegetable Lasagna. You can see the carrot peeking out between the cheesy layers. What you can't see are the slices of zucchini, mushroom and red onion. They are smothered in a creamy ricotta and mozzarella cheese mixture and a generous portion of pasta sauce.
This recipe is a personal favorite of mine. Sit me down with a serving and I'm a happy camper. It's a satisfying one dish meal. And, there are usually leftovers. I individually wrap single servings and freeze them for days when I need a quick dinner or lunch.
Crock Pot Vegetable Lasagna
In case you're new to the pasta in the crock pot technique, here are some tips and pics.
Buy regular lasagna noodles (not the no-boil kind.) Either way, the noodles are not boiled first. Whole wheat noodles are pictured.
Place the noodles in a layer across the crock pot, breaking the noodles when necessary. It won't be pretty. The noodles will overlap and there may be some gaps. No one will ever know. 🙂
Spreading the cheesy layer over the broken noodles can be tricky. Drop small scoops of the cheese mixture over the noodles. (I use a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop to this.) Use a spoon (or your fingertips) to gently spread the piles of cheese over the noodles.
Layer the vegetables over the cheese and then top with a generous portion of pasta sauce.
Keep layering...there will be 3 layers of vegetables and 4 layers of noodles. I know. It's a lot! I used a 5 ½ quart slow cooker. If you have a large crock pot, you could spread everything over 3 layers of noodles instead.
Set the crock pot on low and let the magic begin. The cheese and sauce softens the noodles and the veges become tender and soft.
At 4 hours, turn off the crock pot. Take off the lid and sprinkle the remaining cheeses over the top. Return the cover and allow the lasagna to sit for at least 30 minutes more (or up to one hour.) The cheese will melt and the lasagna will "set" and you will be left with...
A "mile high" vegetable lasagna...that will not disappoint!
Crock-Pot Vegetable Lasagna
- 15 ounce low-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese shredded, divided in half
- 1 egg beaten
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup carrots sliced thin
- 1 medium zucchini sliced about ¼ inch thick and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced (about 2 cups)
- ½ cup red onion sliced thin
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 48 ounces pasta sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Combine ricotta, 2 cups of mozzarella cheese, egg and garlic in a bowl and set aside.
- Generously coat the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray.
- Spread ½ cup of pasta sauce over the bottom of the crock pot.
- Layer 3 lasagna noodles in the bottom of the crock pot, breaking noodles as necessary and overlapping pieces to cover the pasta sauce. Don't worry how it looks!
- Cover noodles with a third of the cheese mixture. (Tip: drop cheese mixture in Tablespoon size heaps and use finger tips to gently spread the cheese mixture evenly over the noodles.)
- Layer a third of the vegetable mixture (about 1 ½ cups) over cheese mixture.
- Spread ¾ cup of pasta sauce over the vegetables.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 two more times
- Top with 3 more broken lasagna noodles and remaining pasta sauce.
- Cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Remove lid and sprinkle 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Replace lid and allow to sit for about 30 minutes so cheese will melt and lasagna will set.
- Serve from crock-pot.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!