Granola does double duty in these Healthy Granola Muffins. It's mixed into the batter for pops of crunchy flavor and beautifully crowns the top of this healthy muffin. You're gonna want one for your lunchbox!
Raise your hand if you could use just a wee bit more energy. I've got both hands raised. The transition from summer to fall is swift. Lazy summer days have quickly turned into a marathon of carpooling, homework and after-school activities.
Healthy, portable snacks are in high demand, especially ones that pack some protein too. Enter my newest go-to recipe...
Healthy Granola Muffins
These muffins taste as good as they look. You'd never know that they're made with no oil (applesauce does the job of keeping them super moist) and a whole wheat flour blend.
I've got a trick that makes them simple to make and super tasty. Rather than chopping up nuts or fruit, just mix granola into the batter. As for the eye-catching topping, spoon more granola over the batter before baking.
I was thrilled to find a new product to use in this recipe: Nature Valley™ Protein Granola. The Oats 'n Honey variety perfectly complements the apple flavoring of these muffins...but, there's more to like.
A 1/2 cup Nature Valley™ Protein Granola provides 10 grams of protein and 22-26 grams of whole grain, at least 48 grams of whole grain recommended daily.
So...these easy-to-make, healthy muffins get a protein boost too! Easy applesauce muffins with a crunchy granola topping are a triple threat and that's why it's my new favorite muffin recipe! 🙂
Come to think of it, I'm in need of an energy boost...right now. I'll take two please!
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom if you make it. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Healthy Granola Muffins
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar or stevia blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg lightly beaten or egg replacer
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup granola divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Stir egg and applesauce into the dry mix just until everything is moistened and combined.
- Fold in 1/4 cup granola.
- Fill 6 muffins tins lined with paper liners or coated with cooking spray about 2/3 full. (Tip: If using paper liners, spritz them with cooking spray too!)
- Spoon 1 Tablespoon of granola over each tin with muffin batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are firm and granola just begins to brown a little.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the tin and then remove to a wire rack to cool further.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!