Roasted radishes and carrots drizzled with a lemon butter dill sauce will be the talk of the table. Not only are they trendy, but they’re healthy and delicious too!
Looking for a new and trendy side dish for spring? Try roasted radishes. They’re on the list of food trends for 2015. Really!
Who knew that this vibrant-colored vegetable, that pops up so easily in a garden (even for a brown thumb like me) would be so tasty when caramelized in the oven? They are good for so much more than just a pretty salad garnish!
These are typical radishes that you find in a grocery store. I think they are cherry belles. They have a crisp, peppery flavor. But, there are so many varieties out there worth trying, such as watermelon (white on the outside and bright pink on the inside,) black or Spanish (spicy,) French breakfast and the long white Daikon radishes. I swear I’m going to plant some radishes with my girls this summer!
Still, I throw caution to taste-testers and finicky eaters. The first time I served roasted radishes, I tossed them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted them just like you would any other vegetable. I was thrilled that a radish with such a spicy, pepper taste when eaten raw could mellow and sweeten so dramatically.
The family. Not so much. The earthiness was still there for them. I had to up my game. (I just love a good challenge!)
Roasted Radishes and Carrots Tips and Tricks
First, I added baby carrots to the mix. Everyone loves irresistible baby carrots. 🙂 Picky eaters can pass over the little red radishes. However, most of my crew gave them a second taste. Hmmm…not so bad on the second try. (They say it can take at least 10 times before a kid takes a liking to a new food…and aren’t we all just kids at heart!)
I didn’t take any chances the second time around. So, I drizzled a mixture of butter, fresh lemon juice and dill over the top to seal the deal.
Trend-setters…that’s what I tell them!
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Roasted Radishes and Carrots with a Lemon Butter Dill Sauce
- 1 pound radishes trimmed and cut in half or quarters
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
Lemon Butter Dill Sauce
- 1 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss radishes and carrots with olive oil.
- Spread vegetables out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- While vegetables are roasting, make the lemon butter dill sauce.
- Melt butter in a small pot or in the microwave.
- Stir in lemon juice and dill.
- Drizzle sauce over vegetables and enjoy.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL!