Sunflower Seed Butter Cookies are dotted with mini chocolate chips, perfectly crisped on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside...and they are peanut, soy, egg and dairy-free.
I've had a blast the past few weeks exchanging cookies for the 3rd Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. I sent these vegan Sunflower Seed Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips to three other participants and I got to try three other fantastic cookie recipes. In the process, over $13,000 was raised for Cookies for Kid's Cancer. Not a bad way to get to know some fellow bloggers and raise money for a great cause.
We don't do peanut butter at our house due to a severe food allergy. Most of our baking is also egg, dairy and soy-free for the same reason.
But, we absolutely don't miss out on tasty treats including ones that call for peanut butter...now that we've experienced sunflower seed butter. We use it to make 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies and Energy Bites with SunButter too!
Maybe it's because I haven't had any peanut butter for quite some time, but I really can't tell the difference!
In fact, I chose this recipe for this occasion because it exemplifies that even though we have a peanut, soy, egg and dairy allergy in the house...we don't miss out on anything around here.
We make delicious substitutions and focus on all the wonderful things that we are able to enjoy. And, if you happen to have dietary restrictions, I hope it inspires you to feel the same way.
One of the first things we made with our "peanut butter" alternative were cookies. And, since we're chocoholics, we of course added chocolate chips. These sunflower seed butter cookies are perfectly moist and tasty...and definitely don't last too long. They are also free of egg, soy and dairy. If you need product suggestions, check out our Allergy Friendly Food Products guide.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media We love to see what you are cooking up!
Sunflower Seed Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup vegan butter substitute softened (can use real butter or margarine)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup sunflower seed butter
- Egg replacer for the equivalent of 1 egg 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 Tablespoon water, 1 Tablespoon vinegar or can use a regular egg
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream "butter", sugars and sunflower seed butter together, first by hand and then with an electric mixer for several minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Combine and stir egg replacer ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add egg replacer to creamed "butter" mixture and stir to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda and baking powder to creamed "butter" mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Form dough into Tablespoon-sized balls and press to flatten.
- If desired, use a fork to press down on the dough to make criss-cross indentations.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies just begin to brown. They will still be soft when removed from the oven.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 more minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool further.