Flourless chocolate cake topped with dark chocolate ganache is a gluten-free and very decadent dessert. Even though I’m a health conscious mom, there’s a place for this at the table sometimes.
“This tastes better than any cake I’d order at a fancy restaurant!” -DH (Darling Husband)
Since then, he has tried Flourless Orange Chocolate Cake and is has trouble choosing a favorite.
At first it seemed wrong to post such a decadent recipe today. I’m on the verge of taking on the 30 day #MushroomMakeover challenge. Mardi Gras is over. And, my youngest dd is allergic to eggs and wasn’t able to enjoy this one at all.
But, upon further reflection, it is the perfect time for me.
Enjoy a Piece of Flourless Chocolate Cake…Sometimes
I’ve long believed that nothing is off limits when it comes to your diet. Eat wholesome, delicious foods that are good for your body most of the time. Splurge on occasion and make sure it is something you really enjoy. Don’t go crazy and everything will be just fine. I’ve been craving this dessert and decided it was time to indulge. I made this recipe mostly for me.
I’ve never made a flourless chocolate cake before. Springform cake pans, water baths, endless egg whisking…it seemed a risky project and too much work was involved! Then, I ran across this recipe by Whole Foods. It’s straightforward, simple and delicious.
My older dd and I thoroughly enjoyed a piece of this flourless chocolate cake before it was topped with anything at all. (By the way, this happens to be the reason I don’t have a picture of the full cake…too much experimentation.) A light dusting of powdered sugar is perfectly enjoyable. Adding strawberries (or raspberries) fully completes this extravagance.
But, we decided to take the decadence over the top with a layer of dark chocolate ganache. The final product was, shall we say…out of this world.
It’s so rich and chocolatey…that I can…I must…stop at just one sliver. So, it’s not a diet buster after all. I’m totally satisfied and can move on…content and totally at peace with the world. 🙂
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Ganache
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 8 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- Optional toppings: powdered sugar berries or ganache
- 4 ounces bittersweet dark chocolate
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line the bottom of a spring form pan with parchment paper.
- Spray the sides of the pan and the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to fully combine.
- Transfer chocolate butter mixture to a large bowl.
- Add sugar and mix to combine.
- Add eggs one at a time whisking thoroughly into mixture before adding the next egg. The mixture will become increasingly thicker.
- Add cocoa powder in quarter cup increments until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes for a 9 inch round pan or 25-30 minutes for a 10 inch round pan or until cake is firm in the center.
- Cool for about 10 minutes and then invert and turn onto a plate, removing the sides of the pan.
- Discard parchment paper.
- Top with powdered sugar, berries or ganache
- Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Pour glaze over cake, using a spatula to spread over top and sides.