This healthy Greek dip recipe has 7 plus layers. But, I’ll show you how to pile it even higher or make short stacks. It all depends on what’s in the fridge and your favorite ingredients.
Hello dip lovers!
This pretty looking combination of Greek-inspired ingredients was thoroughly enjoyed as we watched the Oscars this past weekend. I enjoyed the leftovers in a wrap the next day. It’s truly a guilt-free pleasure!
Endless Possibilities for Layered Greek Dip
I’m going to walk you through the dip I made and then overload your senses and taste buds with endless possibilities to customize it.
The base of this dip is hummus. Buy a prepared container from the grocery store or whip up your favorite homemade version. This one is based on the 5-Minute Hummus recipe at Real Simple.
The second layer is yogurt dill sauce or “Tzatziki Sauce” which sounds much fancier…don’t you agree?! It’s a simple mixture of yogurt (plain or Greek,) lemon juice, garlic and dill. By the way, Spicy Carrot Fries are absolutely delicious dipped in this sauce.
The “wet” hummus and yogurt dill sauce layers will meld and liven up all the other ingredients you pile on top. This is the fun part.
Starting at the bottom, the layers in the the Greek dip pictured are:
- Layer 3 – Diced cucumber
- Layer 4 – Diced red onion
- Layer 5 – Diced tomato
- Layer 6 – Chopped artichoke hearts
- Layer 7 – Crumbled feta cheese
- Layer 8 – Sliced green onion
But, why stop there? What about layers of:
- Beans or chick peas
- Red, green or yellow peppers
- Jalapeno peppers
- Kalamata olives
- Sundried tomatoes
- Chopped baby spinach
- Quinoa or rice
- Or, just about any vege that can be eaten raw, such as carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms or broccoli
And toppings like parsley, oregano, mint and nuts.
You are only limited by your imagination and maybe the size of your bowl. In case you’re wondering, I used a 7 inch by 3 inch round bowl and there was room for about 1 more layer.
And, then there is the matter of dippers. Chips, rice crackers, pita bread…lettuce cups. If you have any leftovers, it makes a delicious wrap.
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, plain, non-fat
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh dill (1 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Prepared Hummus
- 1 Cucumber, diced
- ½ Red onion, diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 14 ounce can Artichokes hearts, chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese, low-fat
- 1 Bunch green Onion, sliced
- Crackers for dipping
- Combine ingredients for yogurt dill sauce and set aside in refrigerator while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Spread hummus in an even layer in the bottom of the serving dish.
- Spread yogurt dill sauce on top of the hummus.
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining ingredients in layers in the order listed.
- Serve with crackers.