When it comes to the Big Game, there’s one thing everyone can agree on…hot crab and artichoke dip. This creamy, cheesy and decadent combination is a real crowd pleaser. Since we’re entertaining, we’ll show you how to pair it with the perfect wine too.
I can’t tell you who I’ll be rooting for at the Big Game. Not today. I usually decide during the pre-game show based upon background stories about the coaches or players or city. And, I’m a sucker for the underdog, overcoming the odds and nice people who help others. I’m also very fickle and bare no guilt when I change my mind mid-game. I’m easily swayed, unless it’s the home team. And, I don’t have any horses in this race. 🙂
On the other hand, I am decidedly emphatic about other matters relating to the Big Game. I can tell you that I’ll be watching with family and friends and there will be a good dose of healthy competition and friendly banter. Without question, there will be a fantastic feast…I’m bringing hot crab and artichoke dip.
It’s creamy, cheesy decadence never disappoints. If things seem to be getting a little tense, just bring out a few more mini filo cups filled with the hot crab and artichoke dip. They are guaranteed to smooth things over, unite the crowd and to be enjoyed by all.
I’ll also be bringing bottles of Gallo Family Vineyards White Zinfandel and Red Moscato. These wines are on the sweeter side and pair perfectly with this cheesy seafood appetizer and any one of the chocolatey desserts that I am anticipating. I’m pretty sure I’ve got the pairing right (although there are a few other options that would have been nice as well.) You can check my work at the Gallo Family Vineyards website.
The thing is, I would have made sure a bottle of White Zinfandel was at the party in any event and I would have been spot on. Here’s why…
I had the opportunity to do participate in a wine tasting last year at the Food and Wine Conference. It featured Gallo Family Vineyards wine and I learned a lot about taste, texture and how various types of wine enhance different types of food. Now, I do a much better job at taking these things into consideration when pairing wine with food. But, here’s another nugget of knowledge that I walked away with. The best wine to serve is the wine that you really enjoy. Luckily…or because I carefully planned things out just right…my favorite wines happen to pair perfectly with hot crab and artichoke dip. Win! Win!
Visit Gallo Family Vineyards to learn more about their selection of wines, perfectly pair wine with various types of food or use the store locator. They offer 16 different wines year-round, so it’s easy find the perfect one. You can also stay connected through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
- 2 8 ounces packages of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Dash (1/8 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup green onion, thinly sliced (about 2 bunches)
- 1 pound of jumbo lump crab meat, drained and flaked and picked over for any shell
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped.
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Mini fillo shells (approx. 60 shells) or crackers for dipping.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, garlic powder and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl.
- Fold green onion, crab and artichokes into the cream cheese mixture.
- Fill mini fillo shells with about 1 teaspoon of crab and artichoke dip, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 7 minutes.
- Spread mixture into a 1 quart shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
- Serve with crackers.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. However, the opinions expressed herein are completely my own and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Be sure to check out the other spectacular recipes for the Big Game that have been perfectly paired with a wine selection from Gallo Family Vineyards.
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.