Make skinny Caramelized Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream. Paired with the right dippers, you can enjoy this low-calorie, gluten-free dip with a smile because it's HEALTHY!
I'm giddy because I can sit down with a serving of this homemade French onion dip and some vegetables and enjoy it...guilt-free...because it has been lightened-up!
Here's how this new favorite came about...
Last week I was deep into Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions. I love caramelized onions and I made LOTS of them. (So, I have bags and bags of them stowed away in the freezer.) Apparently, I was unconsciously thinking of all the ways I could use them.
At one point I was about to have a cup of yogurt for a snack when I decided that this recipe had to happen immediately. Doesn't everyone eat yogurt with onions in it?
Normally I steer clear of dips with lots of sour cream, mayo and such things...not because I want to, but because they are a trigger and I really can't stop!
Turns out yogurt in dips is a thing! Plus, if I make a small batch, generously share it with family members...and use lots of healthy dippers. I can party like a sane person. 🙂
Skinny Caramelized Onion Dip Tips
Here's how to lighten-up this party favorite:
- Swap Greek yogurt for sour cream...you'll get a protein boost too.
- Use light cream cheese.
- Select dippers that won't break the calorie bank like carrots, snap peas or any of these healthy alternatives to chips.
As for the caramelized onions, just pull a package from the freezer and defrost. You did make a big batch in the crock pot...right?
If not, to make them on the stove-top instead like we did for Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions.
And, yes I hear ya! I'm a little obsessed with caramelized onions right now! Nope. Not done yet.
So for the love of dips, try out this lightened-up version of caramelized onion dip with Greek yogurt...and enjoy the party!
Here are some more healthy dips you may want to add to your party menu:
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Skinny Caramelized Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt 5.3 ounce container
- 2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese softened
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions or make stove-top version below
If Making Caramelized Onion on the Stove-Top
- 1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 yellow onions sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- Add the first 4 ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Using electric beaters, mix ingredients for about a minute to fully combine and fluff the dip.
- Stir in caramelized onions. (If using previously frozen onions, then add all of the liquid too for extra flavoring.)
- Serve with favorite dippers.
Direction to Make Caramelized Onions on the Stove-Top
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-low heat.
- Add olive oil and onions to pan and stir to coat.
- To caramelize onions, cook onions over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Check and turn onions every 5-10 minutes until the onions are brown, but not burnt.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL!