I’ve got a confession to make (that any orange and blue blooded Florida Gator should definitely not admit to.) My favorite part of a football game is the tailgating party before the game ever starts! The bigger the party the better, which is why I’m so excited to participate in the ginormous #SundaySupper virtual tailgating party today. I’m bringing Mahogany Baked Chicken Wings and Drumettes…’cuz you’ve got to have tasty wings for an event like this.
These baked chicken wings owe their mahogany name to the dark, sweet glaze they are baked in. It’s a combination of balsamic vinegar, honey, molasses, chili sauce, ground ginger and garlic. It was inspired by the Mahogany Chicken Wings on AllRecipes. Instead of soy sauce (we’ve got an allergy in the house,) this recipe uses balsamic vinegar, which perfectly complements the other sweet ingredients. These wings are sticky and addictive.
Garnish the baked chicken wings and drumettes with sesame seeds and green onion for a festive look.
You won’t need to worry about keeping these hot. Baked chicken wings with a mahogany glaze will be long gone before the coin toss. 🙂
- 3 pounds of chicken wings (tips removed) and/or drummettes
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 Tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- ½ cup green onion, sliced thin for garnish
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the chicken to a large plastic bag that seals. Combine ingredients by massaging the bag contents or use a spoon stir.
- Add chicken to the bag and turn bag until the chicken is coated with marinade.
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least one hour and up to two hours, turning the bag over half way through.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake chicken in the oven for 50 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Discard the marinade or bring it to a full boil for 3 minutes on the stove top and serve as a dipping sauce with the chicken.
A big thank you to Lane at Supper for a Steal for hosting this fun tailgating party. Check out the other tasty recipes for this event below.
Warm Ups (Appetizers):
- Bacon and Onion Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Fajita Dip and Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Crab Rangoons by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Double Cheese Dill Scones by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Fried Yucca With Pink Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Grilled Corn Dip by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Grilled Gameday Nachos by Supper for a Steal
- Homemade Potato Chips w/ Blue Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Liptauer Cheese Spread by Magnolia Days
- Mahogany Baked Chicken Wings by The Dinner-Mom
- Mexican Corn Dip by Growing Up Gabel
- Pizza Dip by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Posh Pigs In a Blanket by The Weekend Gourmet
- Pretzel Nuggets by I Run For Wine
- Roasted Garlic & Tomatillo Salsa Verde by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Savory Baked Pinwheel’s by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Stuffed Banana Pepper Bites by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sweet Potato Hummus by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- VJ Catch-erole by My Other City By The Bay
Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):
- 1,2,3,4,5 Chinese Spareribs by The Urban Mrs
- Bacon Burger Sliders by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Beef on Weck by Healthy. Delicious.
- Carrot Slaw by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheerwine BBQ Pulled Pork by Nik Snacks
- Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Quesadillas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chicken, Brie and Apple Turnovers by Shockingly Delicious
- Easy Grilled Chicken Caesar Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Chicken Sandwiches by Foxes Love Lemons
- Frito Olé by Home Cooking Memories
- Gomoku Treasure Rice by NinjaBaking.com
- Grilled Fajita Kebabs by CuriousCuisiniere
- Hatch Chile Pimento Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Italian Tuna and Shells Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pressed Brick Sandwich by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pulled Lamb Barbecue Sandwiches by The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Soup by Neighborfood
- Smoky Turkey Burgers by Webicurean
- Snorker and Spicy Slaw Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
- Tandoori BBQ Chicken by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Tortilla Hot Dogs by La Cocina de Leslie
Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):
- Coconut Funfetti Ice Cream Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Individual Elvis Pies by Treats & Trinkets
- Portuguese Sangria by Family Foodie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.