Indulge with these Mushroom Pizza Bites at your next party. They have all the flavors of a mushroom and spinach pizza minus the carbs…so go ahead enjoy!
Pizza night comes around once week at our house…on Friday. It signals the end of the week and everyone looks forward to it. At this point: Pizza = Fun. It’s amazing how some associations can be so easily cemented. I love pizza too. But, I could do without all the carbs at the end of the day.
There are plenty of ways to make healthier versions of pizza, but this is by far my favorite. Serve it as an appetizer and I guarantee that you will eat a lot less traditional pizza. Since mushrooms are filling and low-cal, you can feel good eating as many as you want. 🙂
Mushroom Pizza Bites Step-by-Step
Follow these tips for the perfect pizza on a shroom.
Brush dirt off the mushrooms with a damp towel or scrub brush. For best results, do not put them under running water. Mushrooms absorb water very easily. Pop out the stem and scoop out the membranes in the middle. A small measuring spoon is the perfect size for small mushrooms.
Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the outsides of the mushrooms with olive oil. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. The mushrooms should be tender, but still firm. Pour the juices that pools in the center of each mushroom out before filling it with pizza sauce and toppings.
Add your favorite sauce to the center of the mushroom. The amount will vary depending upon the size of the mushroom and how much you like sauce.
Prep your toppings. My new obsession is chiffonading spinach. Stack 4 or 5 spinach leaves, roll them and then use cooking shears (or a knife) to cut the stack into thin strips.
Place spinach strips on top of the sauce and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Other topping ideas for mushroom pizza bites: tomato (diced or a slice from a cherry sized one) onion, peppers, sliced or diced pepperoni, ham, pineapple…just about any topping works.
Broil for just a few minutes and get ready to smile. You’re gonna like these mushroom pizza bites.
- 8 ounce package of mushrooms, white or baby bella
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 10-15 baby spinach leaves.
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush dirt from mushrooms with a damp cloth or brush.
- Pop out stems and scoop membranes out with a small spoon,
- Brush outsides of mushrooms with olive oil using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Mushrooms should be tender, but still firm.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and change setting to broil.
- Stack about 5 spinach leaves, roll them and then cut into thin strips. Repeat with remaining spinach leaves.
- Spoon sauce into mushroom cavity. (The amount will vary based upon the size of the mushroom.)
- Top sauce with spinach leaves and then mozzarella cheese.
- Return mushrooms to oven and broil for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
The season for parties and tailgating is here and the Sunday Supper group has come up with a list of tantalizing trays for just such occasions. Be sure to check out the savory bites and sweet treats below. Thanks to Constance at The Foodie Army Wife for hosting!
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs by MealDiva
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac ‘n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman’s Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Hope to see you there!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE BY EMAIL & RECEIVE A FREE GIFT!