This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Indulge with these Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms at your next party. They have all the flavors of a mushroom and spinach pizza minus the carbs...so go ahead enjoy!
Pizza night comes around once a week at our house...on Friday. It signals the end of the week and everyone looks forward to it. At this point: Pizza = Fun.
It's amazing how food associations can be so easily cemented. I love pizza too. But, I could do without all the carbs at the end of the day.
There are plenty of ways to make healthier versions of pizza, but this is by far my favorite. Serve it as an appetizer and I guarantee that you will eat a lot less traditional pizza.
Since mushrooms are filling and low-cal, you can feel good eating as many as you want. 🙂
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms Step-by-Step
Follow these tips for the perfect pizza on a shroom.
Brush dirt off the mushrooms with a damp towel or scrub brush. For best results, do not put them under running water. Mushrooms absorb water very easily. Pop out the stem and scoop out the membranes in the middle. A small measuring spoon is a perfect size for small mushrooms.
Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the outsides of the mushrooms with olive oil. Bake in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 10 minutes. The mushrooms should be tender, but still firm. Pour the juices that pools in the center of each mushroom out before filling it with pizza sauce and toppings.
Add your favorite sauce to the center of the mushroom. The amount will vary depending upon the size of the mushroom and how much you like sauce.
Prep your toppings. My new obsession is chiffonading spinach. Stack 4 or 5 spinach leaves, roll them and then use cooking shears (or a knife) to cut the stack into thin strips.
Place spinach strips on top of the sauce and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Other topping ideas for mushroom pizza bites: tomato (diced or a slice from a cherry-sized one) onion, peppers, sliced or diced pepperoni, ham, pineapple...just about any topping works.
Broil for just a few minutes and get ready to smile. You're gonna like these Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms. 🙂
Video: Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
More Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
- 8 ounce package of mushrooms white or baby bella
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 10-15 baby spinach leaves.
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush dirt from mushrooms with a damp cloth or brush.
- Pop out stems and scoop membranes out with a small spoon,
- Brush outsides of mushrooms with olive oil using a pastry brush.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Mushrooms should be tender, but still firm.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and change setting to broil.
- Stack about 5 spinach leaves, roll them and then cut into thin strips. Repeat with remaining spinach leaves.
- Spoon sauce into mushroom cavity. (The amount will vary based upon the size of the mushroom.)
- Top sauce with spinach leaves and then mozzarella cheese.
- Return mushrooms to oven and broil for about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.