Pan-fried Lemon Chicken Cutlets are drizzled with a lemon sauce that's infused with garlic. This tasty, low-carb dinner uses just one pan and is ready in under 30 minutes!
BAM! Dinner is done. And, it's delicious!
If you DO have time to turn on the oven, then you'll have to choose between this recipe and Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken.
Lemon lovers...we've got you covered!
What is a Chicken Cutlet?
A chicken cutlet is a thinly sliced piece of a chicken breast. They are labeled with this name and can be purchased in the grocery store. Or, make your own by cutting a chicken breast in half and pounding it to the desired thickness. The thinner the cutlet, the faster it will cook!
Using a chicken cutlet is one of our favorite tricks for getting dinner on the table fast.
Herb Breading Options
Each piece of chicken is lightly dusted with an herb flour mixture in this recipe. The ingredients in the breading are:
- Flour - we use unbleached flour. Use almond flour or coconut flour for a low-carb, gluten-free version.
- Dried Basil
- Dried Thyme
The herbs are easily varied, choose ones that go well together and with lemon. Check out Season This With That by The Kitchn for ideas.
Note: The herbs also season the lemon sauce!
How to Pan-Fry Chicken Cutlets
- Evenly dust each chicken cutlet with the breading. It will be lightly coated, on purpose. The breading is not heavy and egg is not needed to make it stick.
- Heat olive oil and melt butter in a large skillet or pan.
- Add chicken cutlets to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side. The outside will be brown and the center of the chicken will be white. The exact length of time will depend upon on the thickness of the cutlets. (The ones pictured were prepared by the butcher and are on the thick side.)
- Remove chicken from the pan add remaining butter, chicken broth, and garlic to the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Some of the breading will remain in the pan. That's ok! It thickens the sauce.
More Thin Chicken Cutlet Recipes
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media! We love to see what you are cooking up!
Pan-Fried Lemon Chicken Cutlets
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 1 Tablespoon flour or almond flour for gluten-free
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon juice about 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Arrange chicken cutlets in a single layer on a plate.
- Combine flour, basil and thyme in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the chicken and then turn over and sprinkle the rest over the other sides.
- Swirl olive oil in a large pan.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of butter to the pan and melt over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to pan and cook about 5-6 minutes on each side or until the outside is browned and the inside is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Melt remaining butter in the pan.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice and garlic to the pan and stir to combine, scraping up brown bits.
- Bring mixture to a boil and continue to boil until sauce has thickened slightly or about 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon lemon garlic mixture over chicken and garnish with lemon slices.