Eating low-carb is easy with this Healthy Pesto Chicken Recipe that the entire family will love. Top chicken breasts with just 3 more ingredients, bake in the oven and dinner is done!
It's one of those recipes that almost isn't a recipe because it's so easy. Layer and bake. The ingredients are more or less and the results are always spectacular.
If you have a jar of pesto in the refrigerator, then an easy AND tasty dinner is never far away. This ingredient is on my list of pantry staples for healthy eating.
You'll also need:
- Chicken Breasts - select chicken breasts that are not too thick (or pound them down just a little) so they will cook quickly.
- Pesto Sauce - any type of sauce that you already enjoy will work. Make it fresh or buy a jar at the grocery store.
- Tomato - sliced. We often use Roma tomatoes and pile several rounds on each piece of chicken.
- Mozzarella Cheese - shredded
Parmesan Cheese is optional except at my house!
BIG TIP: For perfect chicken every time, use a meat thermometer and cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Is pesto healthy?
Traditional pesto is made with basil leaves, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, and Romano or Parmesan-Reggiano cheese. Those ingredients are pretty healthy in my book! It's lower in carbs too.
Of course, healthy depends on your personal situation. Luckily, there are many variations of pesto sauce including options like nut-free basil pesto and sun-dried tomato pesto.
If you have some extra pesto sauce, check out Phyllo Wrapped Salmon with Pesto and Cheese, which can also be made with chicken!
Sides to serve
Healthy Pesto Chicken has an Italian vibe to it. So, here are some pairings that would be wonderful:
- Green beans
- Roasted potatoes
- Salad greens with an amazing dressing like this Homemade Italian Dressing by Shugary Sweets
- Garlic bread!
Make ahead and freeze tips
You can assemble pesto chicken ahead of time and freeze it BEFORE you bake it!
When you have all the ingredients out, assemble it in an aluminum tin or baking dish that you can freeze. Cover it up with the top or aluminum foil and plastic wrap. Label and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When you are ready to enjoy the recipe, remove it to the refrigerator to defrost overnight and then bake according to the directions.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Healthy Pesto Chicken Recipe - Just 4 Ingredients!
- 20 ounces chicken breast
- 4 Tablespoons pesto sauce
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place chicken breast in a baking dish or on a baking sheet.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 Tablespoon pesto sauce, 1-2 slices of tomato and 2 Tablespoons of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if using.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.