Strawberry Chicken with a bruschetta topping is an elegant recipe that's perfect for special dinners. A mixture of strawberries, basil, and balsamic vinegar is served over chicken that cooks quickly on the stovetop for a quick, healthy and very beautiful meal!
If strawberries are the first berry you think of for a special event, then you're in the right place! When they're in season, you'll find us making appetizers like strawberry bruschetta and cheesecake stuffed strawberries for dessert.
Much like a salad, why not incorporate them into a savory dish so you can enjoy the fresh burst of flavor in every bite?
You'll love this recipe because:
- It takes 25 minutes to prepare and uses just 1 pan so it's a perfect addition to our healthy 30 minute meals.
- It's healthy, low-carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free.
- It has just 6 ingredients (not including olive oil, salt, and pepper)
- The presentation is sure to impress!
Ingredients and Variations
Here's what you'll need:
- Thin-sliced chicken such as chicken cutlets or fillets. Alternatively, pound chicken breasts to approximately ½ inch thickness so it will cook quickly in a skillet.
- Sweet paprika adds color and a bit of kick. Do not use smoked paprika because it results in a strong smoky flavor.
- Strawberries that are fresh and firm. Frozen strawberries aren't recommended. Almost any sweet fruit will work in this recipe. A berry medley with blueberries and raspberries would be lovely too.
- Fresh basil adds another dimension of flavor. Dried basil is not recommended.
- Balsamic vinegar or glaze pairs beautifully with strawberries. It adds flavor, even if you don't reduce it. Buy it at the grocery store. Or. make it yourself. We show you how below.
- Feta or goat cheese crumbled. Leave off for a dairy-free version.
You'll also need the usual suspects too: olive oil, salt and pepper.
Directions with Pictures
You can prepare the strawberry basil topping or the chicken first.
- Chop strawberries into a medium-sized dice.
- Stir fresh chopped basil, balsamic vinegar (or syrup,) olive oil and feta or goat cheese into the strawberries.
- Note: Cheese and/or balsamic glaze can be added at the time of serving instead.
- To make the chicken, season with salt, pepper, and sweet paprika. Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add chicken in a single layer and cook chicken for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Cooking time depends upon the thickness of the chicken.
- Note: Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 °F.
- Place chicken on a plate and spoon strawberry basil topping over the top.
I know what you may be thinking. Can you just spoon the strawberry basil topping over toasted bread or crackers? Yes you can and it's delicious!
How to Easily Cut Basil
You don't need to pull out a cutting board and knife. To cut fresh basil, stack the leaves, roll them, and use kitchen scissors to cut the basil into thin strips. The julienned pieces will be long or short depending upon when direction you roll the stack.
How Make Balsamic Syrup
Balsamic glaze or syrup can be purchased at the grocery store. But it's easy to make! The directions below will yield more than you need so you can use it with other things like Watermelon Salad or caprese-style dishes.
- Place about half a cup of balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. There's no need to add any sugar or sweetener, but you can add a pinch if desired.
- Bring vinegar to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce to low and simmer until it turns syrupy and coats the back of a spoon when you stir it. It takes about 10-15 minutes depending upon how much you want to reduce it! Ideally the volume will be cut in half.
- Allow it to cool before using in the recipe.
Store balsamic syrup for up to 3 months in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Tips for Working with Strawberries
If you want to use the freshest, juiciest strawberries, follow these tips:
- Store fresh strawberries in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator unless you will be using them right away.
- It's best to wash and dice them just before using.
- To wash strawberries, place them in a colander and give them a quick rinse or submerge them quickly in water. They will absorb water so don't soak them.
- Use a huller or a paring knife to quickly remove stems from a strawberry. I use a spoon just like my grandmother used to do!
- The strawberry topping for this recipe can be made earlier in the day if you like the juices to combine with the other ingredients, which is perfectly fine if desired.
I plated everything on top of a bed of baby spinach leaves. The result? A complete and very strawberry-licious meal!
More Elegant Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Chicken Bruschetta Melts - cooks in a skillet with a tomato topping.
- Herb Crusted Chicken - bakes in the oven with a Parmesan herb breading.
- Baked Pesto Chicken - just 4 ingredients in this beauty!
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Strawberry Chicken Recipe
- ¼ cup basil leaves stacked, rolled and sliced into slivers
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar or glaze
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil divided
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Stir diced strawberries, chopped basil, balsamic vinegar (or syrup,) 1 teaspoon of olive oil and crumbled cheese together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Place cutlets in a single layer in the skillet, working in batches if necessary.
- Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes without disturbing. Flip to the other side and cook for 3-4 minutes more or cooked through and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Cooking time will vary depending upon the thickness of the chicken.
- Remove chicken to serving plate and spoon strawberry mixture on top.
This recipe was originally published 1/17/2016. It was updated to improve the reader experience.