When it comes to the Big Game, there's one thing everyone can agree on...hot crab and artichoke dip. This creamy, cheesy and decadent combination is a real crowd pleaser. Since we're entertaining, we'll show you how to pair it with the perfect wine too.
I can't tell you who I'll be rooting for at the Big Game. Not today. I usually decide during the pre-game show based upon background stories about the coaches or players or city. And, I'm a sucker for the underdog, overcoming the odds and nice people who help others. I'm also very fickle and bare no guilt when I change my mind mid-game. I'm easily swayed, unless it's the home team. And, I don't have any horses in this race. 🙂
On the other hand, I am decidedly emphatic about other matters relating to the Big Game. I can tell you that I'll be watching with family and friends and there will be a good dose of healthy competition and friendly banter. Without question, there will be a fantastic feast...I'm bringing hot crab and artichoke dip.
It's creamy, cheesy decadence never disappoints. If things seem to be getting a little tense, just bring out a few more mini filo cups filled with the hot crab and artichoke dip. They are guaranteed to smooth things over, unite the crowd and to be enjoyed by all.
I had the opportunity to do participate in a wine tasting last year at the Food and Wine Conference. It featured Gallo Family Vineyards wine and I learned a lot about taste, texture and how various types of wine enhance different types of food. Now, I do a much better job at taking these things into consideration when pairing wine with food. But, here's another nugget of knowledge that I walked away with. The best wine to serve is the wine that you really enjoy. Luckily...or because I carefully planned things out just right...my favorite wines happen to pair perfectly with hot crab and artichoke dip. Win! Win!
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. However, the opinions expressed herein are completely my own and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried dil
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup green onion thinly sliced (about 2 bunches)
- 1 pound lump crab meat drained and flaked and picked over for any shell
- 14 ounces artichoke hearts drained and finely chopped.
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Mini fillo shells, options approx. 60 shells or crackers for dipping.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill, garlic powder and lemon juice in a medium sized bowl.
- Fold green onion, crab and artichokes into the cream cheese mixture.
If using mini fillo shells
- Fill mini fillo shells with about 1 teaspoon of crab and artichoke dip, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 7 minutes.
If serving as dip
- Spread mixture into a 1 quart shallow baking dish.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
- Serve with crackers.