Cauliflower Grits and Shrimp are easy enough for a busy weeknight, tasty enough for company and the perfect recipe for a low-carb, gluten-free diet!
Amazing cauliflower does it again! We've made curried cauliflower rice and used it to make cauliflower pizza. This time it's transformed into flavorful, cheesy cauliflower grits which makes the perfect base for spicy shrimp.
It's part of our Quick and Easy Dinners collection.
Instead of hominy or grits like we used in Skinny Shrimp and Grits, this recipe uses riced cauliflower which cooks significantly faster than rice.
In case you're new to the benefits of this technique:
- It can be processed (in a food processor) and stored in the refrigerator or frozen until needed.
- It defrosts quickly. In fact, it can be used from frozen if stored in loose crumbles.
- It cooks in minutes.
- It's healthy, gluten-free and low-carb!
- You can even cook it from a frozen bag you get at the grocery store as we did for Roasted Cauliflower Rice with Garlic and Parmesan.
If you're a fan too, be sure to check out and Cauliflower Muffins.
How to make Cauliflower Grits and Shrimp
Besides the Cajun flavor, the best thing about Cauliflower Grits and Shrimp is that it cooks entirely on the stove-top in one pan and takes less than 30 minutes to make! I am not kidding!!!
There are two time-saving components to this recipe.
Cheesy Cauliflower Grits
Rice a head of cauliflower (or buy a bag that is now readily available in grocery stores.) Set that aside, while you saute onion and garlic in a large frying pan.
Stir riced cauliflower into the onions and cover for about 5 minutes, just long enough to soften it. Don't cook the cauliflower grits for too long or they will be mushy!
Remove the cover, stir in sharp cheddar cheese and then remove to the serving dish.
I'm not kidding when I say I could eat the entire bowl, except that would be an entire head of cauliflower. So, I share! 🙂
Easy Spicy Shrimp on the Stove-top
The other time-saving feature of this recipe is shrimp that cooks quickly in the same pan as the cheesy cauliflower grits.
Combine shrimp with olive oil and Cajun seasoning and thoroughly toss to coat. Pour the shrimp and any excess oil into the hot pan and arrange in a single layer. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, depending upon the size of the shrimp.
The shrimp is done when it turns pink and is cooked through. No peeking in the oven or second-guessing the time. Just keep an eye on it.
Keep a bag of shrimp in the freezer and you'll always be minutes away from dinner! It's the same cooking technique we use to make Skillet Shrimp and Cajun Shrimp Guacamole Bites and even our Rock Shrimp Recipe.
A spicy Cajun blend from the grocery store is always in our pantry. If you are inclined to mix up your own blend, try the one we used in this carrot fries recipe.
It's good. Real good!
Please rate this Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits recipe if you make it and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Cauliflower Grits and Shrimp Recipe
- 4 cups cauliflower rice about 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun spice
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 slices cooked and crumbled bacon or turkey bacon
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- Cut cauliflower florets from center stalk. Process florets in a food processor until they resemble "rice." Set aside.
- Add shrimp, 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and Cajun spice to a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add cauliflower rice to pan and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir cheese into cauliflower rice.
- Move rice to serving dish.
- Add shrimp to skillet and cook over medium-high heat in a single layer for 3 minutes.
- Stir and cook for about 3-4 minutes more or until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Spoon shrimp over cauliflower rice and top with bacon and green onion.