Air Fryer Steak Bites and Mushrooms are ready in 15 minutes with minimal clean-up. But, it’s the juicy taste and crispy outside that will AMAZE you!
If you don’t own an air fryer, then the ability to make these steak bites is reason alone to buy one! It takes about 15 minutes start to finish to make this gorgeous dish which will tug at the heartstrings of any meat lover. It’s low-carb too!
The cup in the middle holds easy blue cheese sauce which takes this recipe over the top (in my humble, blue-cheese loving opinion.) But, it’s not required. Steak bites and mushrooms are equally delicious served with potatoes, roasted cauliflower rice or salad.
I’ve been indulging my hubby for weeks in order to get a picture that shows off perfectly cooked beef tips before they disappear. The outsides brown and crisp up beautifully, while the middle stays tender. It beats out the stove-top and oven versions for taste and clean-up.
Some will disagree, but it’s much easier to clean the compartments of this appliance than a cast iron skillet. I put the crisper plate in the dishwasher. And, the bottom section, which catches all the excess juices, cleans up easily!
Best Cut of Beef for Steak Bites
I made this recipe with top sirloin steak filets. Any top sirloin cut is ideal. But, I’ve also seen tips, tenderloin and NY strip steaks used.
At my local grocery store, the butcher will cut meat into cubes. But, I don’t mind doing it myself so I can cut it just the way I like it.
The beef should be cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch pieces. I like the cubes to be on the thick side because it’s easier to pull a cube out during cooking and gauge the remaining cooking time.
Tip: Aim for uniformly sized cubes so that they all finish at the same time.
How to Cook Air Fryer Steak Bites
Important Note: I used a 4-quart air fryer to make these. The outcome may vary if you have a different brand or size of air fryer. ALWAYS follow the instructions for your appliance and adjust the cooking process based upon your experience. I try to give lots of tips that will make this recipe successful no matter what type of air fryer is used.
Step 1 – Pat meat dry and cut it into cubes.
The wetness at the bottom of the package is myoglobin. It’s not harmful. But, the oil and seasoning will adhere better to dry meat.
Step 2 – Toss meat cubes with olive oil and Montreal seasoning
Guideline to scale the recipe: Use 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 Tablespoon Montreal seasoning for 1 pound of beef.
Any steak seasoning that you already enjoy will work. There are many brands of Montreal seasoning on the market. I strive for one that is lower in salt. Depending upon the brand, you may find you need a little less seasoning.
Make your own using this Montreal Steak Seasoning Recipe by Culinary Hill.
Step 3 – Preheat air fryer to 390°F for 3 minutes.
Step 4 – Slice mushrooms while the air fryer preheats.
The mushrooms should be on the thick side. I used white mushrooms and sliced each one into thirds or in half.
Step 5 – Set air fryer temperature to 390°F and timer to 7 minutes.
Step 6 – Pour beef cubes and mushrooms into the air fryer and gently shake to incorporate the mushrooms.
The mushrooms will be oiled and seasoned as you shake the basket during the cooking process.
Step 7 – After 3 minutes pass, pause cooking and shake the basket.
Take a peek and see how the steak is cooking. This is how mine looked.
Step 8 – Continue to pause, check and shake at 2-minute intervals until beef reaches desired doneness.
The continual shaking is critical since meat is not cooking in a single layer.
Step 9 – Allow meat to rest for a few minutes before enjoying.
How to tell if beef cubes are done?
The best way to tell if beef is done is to check it with a meat thermometer. It will have a warm pink center (medium) at 145°F . That’s the USDA recommendation on done versus safety.
If you don’t have a meat thermometer, lift a large piece out and cut it in half!
The internal temperature will continue to rise as the beef cubes rest. So, take that into consideration. I usually stop cooking at 130°F to 135°F. But, I don’t mind it on the rare side either.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a rating and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We LOVE to see and share your creations!
Air Fryer Steak Bites and Mushrooms Recipe
- 1 pound sirloin filet cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Montreal seasoning
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- Easy Blue Cheese Sauce Optional
- Preheat empty air fryer with crisper plate or basket in place at 390°F for 3 minutes.
- Pat meat dry.
- While air fryer is heating up, toss beef cubes with olive oil and Montreal seasoning.
- Chop mushrooms in half or in thirds.
- Pour beef cubes and mushrooms into the preheated air fryer and gently shake to combine.
- Set air fryer temperature to 390°F and timer for 7 minutes.
- After 3 minutes pass, pause and shake the basket. Do this again at 2-minute intervals until the beef cubes reach the desired doneness. Mine finished in 7 minutes. The time will vary by machine and based upon the thickness of the cubes. The best way to determine if the meat is done is to pause and check it. Lift a large piece out and test it with a meat thermometer or cut and peek in the middle to see the progress. Note that the meat will continue to cook once it is removed from the air fryer and is resting. Meat is medium at 145°F and has a warm pink center.
- Allow the meat to rest a couple of minutes before serving and then enjoy!
- I made this recipe with top sirloin steak filets. Any top sirloin cut is ideal. But, I've also seen tips, tenderloin and NY strip steaks used.
- To scale the recipe use the following guideline: Use 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and 1 Tablespoon Montreal seasoning for 1 pound of beef.
- To cook on the stovetop, follow the directions for preparing the beef cubes and mushrooms. Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a skillet (preferably cast iron) over high heat and then add beef cubes and mushrooms. Allow beef cubes to cook, untouched on each side for several minutes until they reach the desired doneness.
- Important Note: I used a 4-quart air fryer to make these. The outcome may vary if you have a different brand or size of air fryer. ALWAYS follow the instructions for your appliance and adjust the cooking process based upon your experience. I try to give lots of tips that will make this recipe successful no matter what type of air fryer is used.