Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole has the ingredients of this Mexican favorite stacked to serve in slices like pie. Easy assembly and hands-off cook time make it a perfect dish for easy entertaining or busy nights.
You’d never know that this Chicken Enchilada Casserole was in the freezer, waiting to be enjoyed, for almost a month! But, that’s just where it was…until I needed a night off from dinner! Then, I pulled it out, baked it, and felt like I was being treated to a night out. There is literally no work involved at that point. It’s part of our collection of Make and Freeze recipes that do not disappoint.
You’ll like this recipe because:
- It’s healthier than the traditional version (We made some swaps and sneaked in a powerhouse veggie.)
- It can be assembled, frozen and cooked later. (Cook one tonight and freeze one for a month from now!)
- It’s an easy prep dinner (about 10-15 minutes) and the rest is hands-off bake time.
And that last point just happens to make it perfect for entertaining too!
This is another tried and true favorite from our Make Ahead Meal Kitchen. It’s the same concept as Stacked Burrito Pie Casserole, but with a different flavor profile.
How to Make Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole
To make this easy recipe, place a flour tortilla in a cake pan and layer with a creamy enchilada sauce, chicken, Great Northern beans and lots of cheese! We made 3 layers and used 2 flour tortillas.
You’ll need diced cooked chicken to make this. Use leftovers or try this Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken recipe. Use a knife or kitchen scissors to cut the chicken into cubes.
See more tips below. Or, hop down for a quick video just before the recipe instructions.
Swaps to Make Chicken Enchilada Pie Healthy
The secret is in the sauce or so they say! We healthified it by swapping Greek Yogurt for sour cream and adding a healthy dose of…wait for it…spinach. Yep!
If you’re a spinach lover, you’ll be in heaven. But, you really can’t tell what the green stuff is. But, you do enjoy the benefits of eating, at least a little bit of this powerhouse vegetable.
More swaps to consider: Whole wheat for regular flour tortillas or less cheese…just, not at my house! To keep it vegetarian add more beans or tofu in place of the chicken.
Make Ahead and Freeze Tips for Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Once all the ingredients are out for this recipe…make two (or more) for later. It freezes beautifully. I made the one pictured about 3 weeks ago. Assemble the ingredients in an 8-9 inch round or square pan.
Or, use a cake pan lined with aluminum foil. Start the freezing process in the cake pan. After a few hours when the pie has firmed up, remove the foil from the pan and store it in the freezer. When you are ready to defrost, return it to the cake pan that you will use to cook it in. Easy peasy.
By the way, this pairs nicely with a side salad. Don’t forget the chips and simple guacamole dip! Enjoy!
Please rate this recipe if you make it and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole Pie
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 4.5 ounce mild chopped green chilies can
- 1 cup chopped spinach partially defrosted so that it crumbles easily
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 3 flour tortillas whole wheat
- 15 ounce Great Northern beans can, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese low-fat
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine yogurt, milk, cumin and green chilies in a small bowl.
- Remove a quarter cup on the combined mixture and set aside.
- Add spinach and chicken to mixture and stir to combine.
- Place 1 flour tortilla in the bottom of a pan (round or square, 8-9 inches)
- Spread half of the chicken mixture (about 3/4 cup) over the tortilla.
- Layer over the chicken mixture: half of the Great Northern beans, 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 2 Tablespoons of green onion.
- Place a flour tortilla on top and repeat steps 6 and 7.
- Place a flour tortilla on top.
- Spread remaining yogurt mixture and ½ cup shredded cheese on top.
- Garnish with green onion.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes,
- Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Allow pie to set for about 5 minutes before serving.
Other Enchilada dishes to check out:
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas from Food Faith Fitness
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash from Closet Cooking