This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure.
This Healthy Taco Salad Dressing with yogurt and salsa is almost too good to be true. It's high in protein, lower in carbs, and has just 2 simple ingredients!
You'll find yourself making this easy"recipe" again and again to drizzle on Layered Taco Salads in a Jar, over Mexican Chicken Bowls and even as a creamy dip for chips! It pairs beautifully with just about any Tex-Mex dish.
With only simple two ingredients, it almost seems crazy to write out directions. But, there are some variation and tips you may want to try.
Healthy Taco Salad Dressing Ingredients
Here's a little more information on the main ingredients:
Use a salsa that you love and you're going to be happy with this recipe.
I use a mild, chunky salsa with little to no added sugar. You might also enjoy:
- Mexican Salsa with Peach, Mango or Pineapple - Newman's Own has several varieties that are fantastic. I use the peach one to make Stacked Burrito Pie Casserole and always drizzle some of this creamy salsa dressing on top!
- Spicy Salsa - If you like your salsa hot and spicy, then there's a good chance you'll be craving it in this healthy taco salad dressing.
- Homemade Salsa - It adds a freshness to the dressing. Try Homemade Salsa Recipe by A Spicy Perspective if you don't have a go-to recipe.
We used plain Greek yogurt in this recipe. Other healthy options include:
- Plain non-fat yogurt - the dressing will have a thinner consistency if you use this type of yogurt.
- Sour cream - the result is not as high in protein as a yogurt-based dressing, but it is still pretty healthy in my book.
- Vegan yogurt of sour cream alternatives - use these products to make a vegan taco salad dressing.
For each of these options, there are non-fat, low-fat and full-fat options! We used a full-fat, whole milk Greek yogurt.
The Best Ingredient Ratio for Creamy Salsa Dressing
The sweet spot for the perfect healthy taco salad dressing depends upon the brand and type of salsa and yogurt that you use.
Start with a 1-to-1 ratio to make the dressing. That's what we use. Give it a taste and add a little more yogurt if the salsa taste is too strong.
Another consideration is the thickness of the salsa. If the dressing doesn't spoon out of the container with a thin enough consistency, then adjust it by adding a little more salsa. You can also add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
How to Store Healthy Taco Salad Dressing
You can make this dressing up ahead of time. Store it in a Mason jar or bowl with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator. It should be good for about a week so long as the yogurt and salsa had that much time remaining for use.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Healthy Taco Salad Dressing
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- Combine ingredients in a bowl or jar and enjoy!