This easy Key Lime Dip recipe is creamy with crunch from toasted coconut. It’s a no-bake pie in a cup that’s also freezer-friendly for a cool treat any time.
We used to put this filling in a graham cracker pie crust at our Make Ahead and Freeze Store. We did the same thing with No-Bake Mini Cheesecakes which can be the filling for Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries. No oven needed!
But, I didn’t want or need an entire pie staring me down for days. So, single serve, no crust Key Lime Pie Dip was born!
Life is good! 🙂
This Key Lime Dip works with full fat, low-fat or no-fat products, whatever you’re used to. There’s no buttery, calorie-laden graham cracker pie shell either (which totally has a time and place.)
Add lots of fresh fruit for dipping on the side and there’s even more reason to stash some containers in your freezer.
Key Lime Dip Recipe Tips
This can be a super easy recipe. Or, you can take a few extra steps and make it extra special. Here’s the low-down.
How to Toast Coconut
This key lime pie dip has a bit of crunchy texture and color from toasted coconut. Place sweetened coconut in a pan and cook for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Unsweetened coconut is okay too!
You don’t need to do anything to the skillet first. But, shake the pan or stir the coconut frequently to make sure it doesn’t burn. If you are okay with a slightly chewy texture, then don’t bother with the toasting step.
If you’re not a fan of coconut, then leave it out altogether. It’s all good!
Key Limes vs Key Lime Juice
Don’t even think about using Persian limes, which are readily available in the grocery store. Key limes are more acidic and have more bite. I can always tell when an imposter has been used in this recipe.
Yet…key limes are very, very small and labor intensive to juice. Check out the size in the picture below.
If you use real key limes, then zest 2 to punch up the key lime flavor even more. Why not?!
If you’re not up for juicing limes, then try Nellie & Joe’s Key West Lime Juice (we linked to it in our Amazon Store.) It’s the best! We use it in our Key Lime Cookies too.
Allow the dip to thicken
Add condensed milk, whipped topping, key lime juice and toasted coconut to a bowl and mix everything together. Save some toasted coconut to sprinkle on top!
Now, wait. You’ll test it. You’ll like it. You may even love it. It’s still a little runny.
Allow it to firm up in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. In about an hour it will be even firmer. You’ll like it even more!
What to serve with Key Lime Pie Dip
- A spoon! It really doesn’t need anything else to be absolutely delicious!
- Make a trifle, with layers of crumbled graham crackers dip and fruit. Mason jars are great for single servings.
- Graham crackers for dipping.
- Fruits, such as strawberries, pineapple and apple slices for dipping.
- Fill full size, or individual sized, graham cracker crusts for a more traditional pie.
- Top with mini chocolate chips!
How to freeze Key Lime Dip
Hopefully, you have some key lime dip remaining after you make a batch. If so, portion it out in freezer-safe containers. We use 1 cup plastic or glass containers with a lid.
Cover and freeze containers for up to 2 months for best quality. Defrost frozen servings in the refrigerator for several hours or microwave for about 5 seconds.
Please rate this recipe and tag @DinnerMom or #DinnerMom on social media. We love to see what you are cooking up!
Key Lime Dip with Toasted Coconut
- 1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 8 ounces whipped topping any kind
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- Graham crackers or fruit for dipping
- Toast coconut flakes on the stove-top by heating them in a pan over medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Stir frequently.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, whipped topping and lime juice to a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Fold in most of the coconut flakes, reserving about 1 Tablespoon to sprinkle over the top of the dip.
- Chill dip in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Serve with graham crackers or fruit.